Jan 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
Braves catcher Brian McCann is set to hit the free agent market after the 2013 MLB season. But he is recovering from shoulder surgery and coming off a career-worst year, so contract talks are on hold.
Braves GM Frank Wren told Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sunday that he spoke recently with McCann’s agent and that both sides agreed to shelve any extension discussions until next fall.
McCann, a .279/.351/.475 career hitter, batted just .230/.300/.399 in 487 plate appearances this past summer for Atlanta. If the 28-year-old backstop can find a way to rebound in 2013, he should do quite well for himself.
Yadier Molina‘s five-year, $75 million pact with the Cardinals could serve as a kind of framework.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)