Jan 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
Braves catcher Brian McCann is set to hit the free agent market after the 2013 MLB season. But he is recovering from shoulder surgery and coming off a career-worst year, so contract talks are on hold.
Braves GM Frank Wren told Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sunday that he spoke recently with McCann’s agent and that both sides agreed to shelve any extension discussions until next fall.
McCann, a .279/.351/.475 career hitter, batted just .230/.300/.399 in 487 plate appearances this past summer for Atlanta. If the 28-year-old backstop can find a way to rebound in 2013, he should do quite well for himself.
Yadier Molina‘s five-year, $75 million pact with the Cardinals could serve as a kind of framework.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15