Jan 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Braves catcher Brian McCann is set to hit the free agent market after the 2013 MLB season. But he is recovering from shoulder surgery and coming off a career-worst year, so contract talks are on hold.
Braves GM Frank Wren told Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sunday that he spoke recently with McCann’s agent and that both sides agreed to shelve any extension discussions until next fall.
McCann, a .279/.351/.475 career hitter, batted just .230/.300/.399 in 487 plate appearances this past summer for Atlanta. If the 28-year-old backstop can find a way to rebound in 2013, he should do quite well for himself.
Yadier Molina‘s five-year, $75 million pact with the Cardinals could serve as a kind of framework.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)