Jan 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Braves catcher Brian McCann is set to hit the free agent market after the 2013 MLB season. But he is recovering from shoulder surgery and coming off a career-worst year, so contract talks are on hold.
Braves GM Frank Wren told Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sunday that he spoke recently with McCann’s agent and that both sides agreed to shelve any extension discussions until next fall.
McCann, a .279/.351/.475 career hitter, batted just .230/.300/.399 in 487 plate appearances this past summer for Atlanta. If the 28-year-old backstop can find a way to rebound in 2013, he should do quite well for himself.
Yadier Molina‘s five-year, $75 million pact with the Cardinals could serve as a kind of framework.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)