Jan 6, 2013, 9:07 AM EST
Padres third baseman Chase Headley hit .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs, 31 doubles and 115 RBI in 699 plate appearances last season, blowing away all of his previous career-bests. And he’s pretty certain he can keep that pace going forward.
Via Corey Brock, beat writer for MLB.com:
“I expect a lot out of myself. And I do think that the norm of my career will be much closer to last season than the years before that,” Headley said. “I feel like I’m closer to being that type of player … having that success I had last year, gives me a lot of confidence going forward. … I care about what I want to do. I want to be the best I can be.”
The 28-year-old batted just .289/.374/.399 with four homers and 44 RBI in 439 plate appearances for the Padres in 2011, but he was dealing with shoulder, calf and pinkie injuries. Good health and newfound power helped him reach a new level of stardom last summer, and he’s ready to build on that here in 2013.
The fences are being moved a bit closer at San Diego’s Petco Park, which should help matters.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 78
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (78)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)