Jan 6, 2013, 9:07 AM EST
Padres third baseman Chase Headley hit .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs, 31 doubles and 115 RBI in 699 plate appearances last season, blowing away all of his previous career-bests. And he’s pretty certain he can keep that pace going forward.
Via Corey Brock, beat writer for MLB.com:
“I expect a lot out of myself. And I do think that the norm of my career will be much closer to last season than the years before that,” Headley said. “I feel like I’m closer to being that type of player … having that success I had last year, gives me a lot of confidence going forward. … I care about what I want to do. I want to be the best I can be.”
The 28-year-old batted just .289/.374/.399 with four homers and 44 RBI in 439 plate appearances for the Padres in 2011, but he was dealing with shoulder, calf and pinkie injuries. Good health and newfound power helped him reach a new level of stardom last summer, and he’s ready to build on that here in 2013.
The fences are being moved a bit closer at San Diego’s Petco Park, which should help matters.
Dec 21, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
The field for James Shields has been winnowed down to a few, namely the Giants and Red Sox.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:35 PM EST
If the Padres want to keep Justin Upton around beyond 2015, they’ll have to hammer out a contract extension before spring training begins.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Scott Boras says the Orioles should expect to have Matt Wieters behind the plate when the 2015 regular season opens on April 6.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
A.J. Preller, the second-youngest general manager in Major League Baseball, joined MLB Network this weekend to discuss the Padres’ incredibly active offseason …
Dec 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
Matt Kemp was introduced to the San Diego media on Saturday at Petco Park …
Dec 20, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Exciting news for Willie Bloomquist fans.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Bounce-back candidate Brandon Beachy has drawn interest from the Rangers lately.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Josh Lindblom is taking his talents to the Lotte Giants of the Korea Baseball Organization.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:35 PM EST
The deal between Cuban infielder Roberto Baldoquin and the Angels became official on Saturday after the 20-year-old passed his physical.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Giants reportedly have no plans to attempt to initiate contract talk with free agent Max Scherzer.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
An unnamed team has reportedly offered a two-year deal to Nick Hundley. It’s not the Orioles.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:26 PM EST
MLB’s waiver rules are complicated enough for fans and those who cover baseball on a regular basis, but apparently they can even confuse teams sometimes.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
The Phillies could eye Asdrubal Cabrera as a replacement for Jimmy Rollins.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Downs had a 4.97 ERA over 55 appearances this past season between the White Sox and Royals.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
With the Phillies in the middle of a rebuilding effort, they are facing some tough (and long overdue) truths with their veteran players.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Tulowitzki would immediately take the Mets from a “maybe” contender to a “legitimate” contender, but don’t get your hopes up.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Rollins was officially traded from the Phillies to the Dodgers yesterday in exchange for right-hander Zach Eflin and left-hander Tom Windle.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:59 AM EST
As part of this week’s three-team Wil Myers trade, the Nationals acquired right-hander Joe Ross and a player to be named later. However, the player to be named later isn’t a mystery. It’s shortstop prospect Trea Turner, who is now in limbo after the trade.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
No word yet on who submitted the top bid.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Chase Utley plans to wear Phillies red until his contract runs out.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)