Jan 6, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
This from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:
Hard to read the Cubs, since they’re building for the future while also signing veteran pitchers. [Matt] Garza still has to show teams in spring training that his injured elbow is OK; the Cubs would listen on a possible deal.
Garza missed the final two months of the 2012 season due to a stress reaction in his right elbow, but he’s enjoyed a normal offseason to this point and is expected to be fully healthy when major league camp opens in February.
The 29-year-old boasts a stellar 3.52 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 8.7 K/9 in 49 total starts with the Cubs. He is eligible for arbitration for the fourth and final time this season, which means he’ll be a free agent in the fall.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)