Jan 6, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
This from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:
Hard to read the Cubs, since they’re building for the future while also signing veteran pitchers. [Matt] Garza still has to show teams in spring training that his injured elbow is OK; the Cubs would listen on a possible deal.
Garza missed the final two months of the 2012 season due to a stress reaction in his right elbow, but he’s enjoyed a normal offseason to this point and is expected to be fully healthy when major league camp opens in February.
The 29-year-old boasts a stellar 3.52 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 8.7 K/9 in 49 total starts with the Cubs. He is eligible for arbitration for the fourth and final time this season, which means he’ll be a free agent in the fall.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)