Jan 6, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
This from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:
Hard to read the Cubs, since they’re building for the future while also signing veteran pitchers. [Matt] Garza still has to show teams in spring training that his injured elbow is OK; the Cubs would listen on a possible deal.
Garza missed the final two months of the 2012 season due to a stress reaction in his right elbow, but he’s enjoyed a normal offseason to this point and is expected to be fully healthy when major league camp opens in February.
The 29-year-old boasts a stellar 3.52 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 8.7 K/9 in 49 total starts with the Cubs. He is eligible for arbitration for the fourth and final time this season, which means he’ll be a free agent in the fall.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)