Jan 6, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
Rafael Soriano had a 2.26 ERA in 67 2/3 innings last year for the Yankees while converting 42 saves in 46 opportunities. But he has struggled to attract offers on the open market this offseason because of the draft pick (and draft pool money) that a team would have to forfeit in order to ink a deal with him.
Some have suggested that he should simply return to the Yankees on a one-year contract and try again to hit it big in free agency next winter. But the New York front office apparently wants no part of that.
Anthony Rieber of Newsday brings the goods:
Closer Rafael Soriano still is a free agent, but a return to the Yankees seems unlikely. Soriano opted out of the final year of his Yankees deal after saving 42 games in place of the injured Mariano Rivera.
“I cannot talk about players on the free-agent market,” [Yankees general manager] Brian Cashman said. “But I am not looking for bullpen help, I can tell you that.”
Soriano would have made $14 million in 2013 had he not exercised that opt-out clause. He also declined a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer from the Yankees back in November. His agent is Scott Boras.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Detroit owes him $28 million per season through 2019.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:09 AM EST
It happened to Wynton Bernard anyway.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Since shifting to the bullpen full time in 2011 the Minnesota native has a 2.74 ERA and 286/63 K/BB ratio in 256 innings.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Axford had a 3.92 ERA and 63/36 K/BB ratio in 55 innings for the Indians last season.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
At least one columnist thinks this is a big problem. Is it?
Mar 2, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
Patrick Dubuque of The Hardball Times mounts an in-depth study of the Peanuts’ Gang’s manager.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 AM EST
The lives of a couple of “Moneyball” players serves as a jumping off point for a good Monday morning rant.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
Though pitching prospect Carlos Rodon is taking over for Chris Sale, he likely isn’t pitching for an Opening Day role with the White Sox.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes could see himself wearing a Tigers uniform for many years.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Bryce Harper wants to do more to help out on offense for the Nationals.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Yu Darvish was colorful in responding to critics who think he quit on the Rangers last year due to an elbow injury.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:05 PM EST
The Phillies kicked off the spring with a loss to a college team.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:24 PM EST
There’s been some talk that Angels right-hander Garrett Richards might be ready for the beginning of the 2015 regular season despite tearing the patellar tendon in his left knee last August. But manager Mike Scioscia put that to rest Sunday in camp …
Mar 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro provides the visual evidence …
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
From the official Twitter account of the Los Angeles Dodgers …
Mar 1, 2015, 10:33 AM EST
Minoso, a native of Cuba, batted .298/.389/.459 with 1,963 hits, 186 home runs, and 1,023 RBI in parts of 17 major league seasons split between the Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, and Washington Senators.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Some highlights here from Rob Manfred’s sit-down Saturday at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference …
Feb 28, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
The Padres signed outfielder Tyson Gillies to a minor league deal, perhaps hopeful he could turn his fortunes around with a new organization.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
The Diamondbacks want Yasmany Tomas to get as many at-bats as possible during spring training, so he’ll be starting at both third base and in the outfield.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:35 PM EST
It’s odd to hear Jimmy Rollins say nice things about the Mets.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)