Jan 7, 2013, 7:20 AM EDT
When Bobby Valentine was fired as Red Sox manager, I was slightly sad that I would not have Bobby Valentine to kick around anymore. Now I really won’t have Bobby Valentine to kick around anymore. Not because he’s disappearing, but because he’s now a coworker and one does not speak ill of coworkers. From Richard Deitsch:
The NBC Sports Group and Dial Global will formally announce Monday that Valentine has joined the NBC Sports Radio lineup as a Major League Baseball contributor. He will call in weekly to NBC Sports affiliated stations over the next two months before co-hosting a daily sports-talk show on NBC Sports Radio starting in April.
Seriously, though, even if he wasn’t coming to work for NBC, I would consider this a good move. Valentine got himself in a lot of trouble this last year precisely because he had strong opinions and was not hesitant to voice them. Indeed, the times he probably looked the worst was when, possibly spurred by the Boston front office, he was required to walk the comments back after they stirred controversy. A task which was usually accomplished quite unconvincingly.
Valentine was a good manager for many years, but the Valentine of 2013 is made for talk radio. This makes total sense to me.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)