Jan 7, 2013, 7:20 AM EDT
When Bobby Valentine was fired as Red Sox manager, I was slightly sad that I would not have Bobby Valentine to kick around anymore. Now I really won’t have Bobby Valentine to kick around anymore. Not because he’s disappearing, but because he’s now a coworker and one does not speak ill of coworkers. From Richard Deitsch:
The NBC Sports Group and Dial Global will formally announce Monday that Valentine has joined the NBC Sports Radio lineup as a Major League Baseball contributor. He will call in weekly to NBC Sports affiliated stations over the next two months before co-hosting a daily sports-talk show on NBC Sports Radio starting in April.
Seriously, though, even if he wasn’t coming to work for NBC, I would consider this a good move. Valentine got himself in a lot of trouble this last year precisely because he had strong opinions and was not hesitant to voice them. Indeed, the times he probably looked the worst was when, possibly spurred by the Boston front office, he was required to walk the comments back after they stirred controversy. A task which was usually accomplished quite unconvincingly.
Valentine was a good manager for many years, but the Valentine of 2013 is made for talk radio. This makes total sense to me.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)