Bobby Valentine to host a show on NBC Sports Radio

Jan 7, 2013, 7:20 AM EST

Bobby Valentine Reuters Reuters

When Bobby Valentine was fired as Red Sox manager, I was slightly sad that I would not have Bobby Valentine to kick around anymore.  Now I really won’t have Bobby Valentine to kick around anymore. Not because he’s disappearing, but because he’s now a coworker and one does not speak ill of coworkers. From Richard Deitsch:

The NBC Sports Group and Dial Global will formally announce Monday that Valentine has joined the NBC Sports Radio lineup as a Major League Baseball contributor. He will call in weekly to NBC Sports affiliated stations over the next two months before co-hosting a daily sports-talk show on NBC Sports Radio starting in April.

Seriously, though, even if he wasn’t coming to work for NBC, I would consider this a good move. Valentine got himself in a lot of trouble this last year precisely because he had strong opinions and was not hesitant to voice them. Indeed, the times he probably looked the worst was when, possibly spurred by the Boston front office, he was required to walk the comments back after they stirred controversy. A task which was usually accomplished quite unconvincingly.

Valentine was a good manager for many years, but the Valentine of 2013 is made for talk radio. This makes total sense to me.

1. stephenolszewski - Jan 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Well that’s a awful idea….

2. themagicfanguy - Jan 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Ugh, can’t he just go back to Japan or something?

3. heyblueyoustink - Jan 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM

When does the time come, when he threatens to punch himself in the face?

4. pensfan603 - Jan 7, 2013 at 8:57 AM

All for ratings, if he wasnt a character they wouldnt be making this hire.

• paperlions - Jan 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Well, duh. Radio shows don’t exist for people to not listen to them. I sure hope people don’t listen to them to become informed…because you’ll be sorely disappointed. Like horoscopes, talk radio is for entertainment purposes only.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 7, 2013 at 9:05 AM

It’ll be called “I know more about baseball than anybody ever.”

6. Old Gator - Jan 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I don’t understand, Craigster. Don’t they have backstabbing, brown-nosing and badmouthing at NBC? Don’t folks secrete negative insinuendoes behind each other’s backs? Don’t you guys get under the desks with each others’ secretaries during the Christmas party? I mean, what kind of working environment is that, anyway? It doesn’t sound like the kind of place in which I’d want to work.

7. ironmike778 - Jan 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Why?? Guy is awful to listen to. Just go away, Bobby……go away.

8. teruw0 - Jan 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM

NEVER come back to JAPAN!
    No money to give you and such poor baseball!

9. thesmedman - Jan 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Wasn’t this obvious, like, when he did that post firing interview with Costas?

10. mazblast - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Some employers have no shame.

11. hockeyflow33 - Jan 8, 2013 at 3:02 AM

If Bobby knew how to run a baseball team, especially a bullpen, no one here in Boston would have cared what his opinions were.

12. unclemosesgreen - Jan 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Maybe one does not speak ill of co-workers if one is Craigers, but Bobby V. just gave his first interview since the NBC announcement and he went after you CC:

“I don’t think Craig is as physically or emotionally into the blog as he has been in the past for some reason.”

I’m going to reply to Bobby for us posters, I don’t know if that’s how one does it in Boston or Japan, but that is not how we treat people here at NBC. Just ask Conan.

13. barackfan - Jan 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I will avoid his show on purpose.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4978)
  2. M. Kemp (3499)
  3. J. Kang (2680)
  4. J. Upton (2617)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2614)
  1. C. McGehee (2597)