Jan 7, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Grady Sizemore has been linked to a few teams this offseason, but it sounds like he has no plans to sign until he’s recovered from September knee surgery and … well, given his history that might be a while.
Agent Joe Urbon told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that “midseason is more likely” for Sizemore to choose a new team, although he didn’t rule out signing before Opening Day.
Last winter Sizemore re-signed with the Indians for one-year and $5 million, but never played and now feels he tried to come back too soon. And obviously at this point it’s hard to imagine any team offering Sizemore more than a minor-league contract, which no doubt plays a part in his lack of interest in signing now.
Whatever the case, this is another in a long line of depression updates about Sizemore, who’s missed 382 of the past 486 games while hitting .220 with a .659 OPS. He’s still just 30 years old, but hasn’t been fully healthy since 2007.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)