Jan 7, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Grady Sizemore has been linked to a few teams this offseason, but it sounds like he has no plans to sign until he’s recovered from September knee surgery and … well, given his history that might be a while.
Agent Joe Urbon told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that “midseason is more likely” for Sizemore to choose a new team, although he didn’t rule out signing before Opening Day.
Last winter Sizemore re-signed with the Indians for one-year and $5 million, but never played and now feels he tried to come back too soon. And obviously at this point it’s hard to imagine any team offering Sizemore more than a minor-league contract, which no doubt plays a part in his lack of interest in signing now.
Whatever the case, this is another in a long line of depression updates about Sizemore, who’s missed 382 of the past 486 games while hitting .220 with a .659 OPS. He’s still just 30 years old, but hasn’t been fully healthy since 2007.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)