Jan 7, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Grady Sizemore has been linked to a few teams this offseason, but it sounds like he has no plans to sign until he’s recovered from September knee surgery and … well, given his history that might be a while.
Agent Joe Urbon told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that “midseason is more likely” for Sizemore to choose a new team, although he didn’t rule out signing before Opening Day.
Last winter Sizemore re-signed with the Indians for one-year and $5 million, but never played and now feels he tried to come back too soon. And obviously at this point it’s hard to imagine any team offering Sizemore more than a minor-league contract, which no doubt plays a part in his lack of interest in signing now.
Whatever the case, this is another in a long line of depression updates about Sizemore, who’s missed 382 of the past 486 games while hitting .220 with a .659 OPS. He’s still just 30 years old, but hasn’t been fully healthy since 2007.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)