Ian Desmond doesn’t believe in real estate agents

Jan 7, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT

He believes in crowd-sourcing his in-season housing needs:

Hey Ian, I used to live at the Potomac Club at Braddock Station. That was about 20 minutes or so away via Metro. Of course I moved out nearly 15 years ago and the place may have gone downhill since then. Just trying to help.

You’re welcome!

(Via CSNWashington.com)

1. dwrek5 - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Must have read Freakanomics…

2. sdelmonte - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Would rather go with Chris Young (the pitcher). Lower salary, less NYC baggage.

3. sportsdrenched - Jan 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Who uses an agent when looking for a rental?

• historiophiliac - Jan 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.

• genericcommenter - Jan 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM

This seems to be a regional thing.. or something. When I was renting houses, I never used an agent and no houses were represented by one. When I was talking to a friend from another state recently, he couldn’t find a single house that wasn’t with a real estate agency.

• hockeyflow33 - Jan 8, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Generally the property would be represented by an agent who would be due a fee from the lessee, not the other way around unless the lessee paid a fee to both his agent and the lessor’s.

4. chacochicken - Jan 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

D.C. housing market is still insane, hardly even felt the crash. Let’s speculate on why he wants a rental…He’s been told he’ll be traded at the deadline for Justin Upton.

• jdd428 - Jan 8, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Nah, the Dbacks don’t need a SS now that they’ve got Didi Gregorius, aka the next Jeter! hahaha

• woodenulykteneau - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Care to support some evidence to support your delusion? Because the tens of thousands of us with underwater mortgages tend to disagree…

• chacochicken - Jan 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Housing prices in the District are between 90-95% of what they were in 2006. I don’t know what you bought but try buying a house in NW for under 800K

5. genericcommenter - Jan 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I remember T.O. doing this, I think when he was with the Bills.

• yahmule - Jan 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

How pissed off would you be to come home from work and find some idiot doing sit-ups in his driveway while a bunch of other idiots from ESPN crowd around watching?

6. APBA Guy - Jan 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM

20 minutes from the stadium at what time? 20 minutes at midnight can take 2 hours at 5:00 pm. When I left DC about 10 years ago traffic had gone from horrendous to Los Angeles bad. I got to SF and traffic was better. Much better on the Peninsula side. There is nothing like I-95 northbound in the morning rush, except I-66 northbound in the morning rush, or I-270…

7. jwbiii - Jan 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Craig, Good thing you didn’t live there 40 years ago. It was a pretty nasty area (Yes, much worse than across Fayette) until the Metro came through in the mid ’70s and it was gentrified.

8. natslady - Jan 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Desi not the only one lookin’ around for a crib around the Beltwayz….

Adam Jones ‏@SimplyAJ10
    Back to house hunting in BMORE. Some unreal homes y’all have here.

9. hockeyflow33 - Jan 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Always smart to not use an expert when looking for a home

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2504)