Jan 7, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
So, maybe the writers are the best bet as voters. But one wonders if the Hall of Fame itself will always feel this way. Why? Well …
But first a piece of @baseballhall news in advance of Wednesday’s BBWAA vote results: Hall posted book loss of $2.08M in 2011.
— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) January 7, 2013
Fisher goes on to report that the Hall has lost money in eight of the past ten years.
Perhaps this is more a function of changing sports tastes and the fact that the Hall of Fame is about the hardest place to get to this side of Hogwarts, but I’m sure that having an induction ceremony that, thanks to a silly moralizing electorate, will have no one but Deacon White, Jacob Rupert and Hank O’Day this summer won’t do much to help finances.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 8
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 74
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)