Jan 7, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
So, maybe the writers are the best bet as voters. But one wonders if the Hall of Fame itself will always feel this way. Why? Well …
But first a piece of @baseballhall news in advance of Wednesday’s BBWAA vote results: Hall posted book loss of $2.08M in 2011.
— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) January 7, 2013
Fisher goes on to report that the Hall has lost money in eight of the past ten years.
Perhaps this is more a function of changing sports tastes and the fact that the Hall of Fame is about the hardest place to get to this side of Hogwarts, but I’m sure that having an induction ceremony that, thanks to a silly moralizing electorate, will have no one but Deacon White, Jacob Rupert and Hank O’Day this summer won’t do much to help finances.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)