Jan 7, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
Slow news day, so we go to the police blotter:
A Wichita man says he plans to begin rebuilding a collection of more than 500 Ken Griffey Jr. baseball cards that were stolen from his home. Christopher Fevurly says thieves broke a window in his home and stole the cards, a television and computer monitor while he was in Arizona to watch the Fiesta Bowl.
Police have named Someone Who Still Thinks It’s 1993 as the primary suspect.
Just kidding, of course. I’m sure the collection meant a lot to Mr. Fevurly. But seeing stuff like this reminds me of (a) just how incredible Ken Griffey Jr. was for a while; (b) just how depressing it was that he couldn’t really keep the mojo going after going to Cincinnati; and (c) just how worthless baseball cards are these days compared to what they were worth back when Griffey first hit everyone’s radar.
As for that last part, I’m of two minds about baseball cards being more or less worthless these days. On the one hand it makes me think back to 1987 Craig and how foolish he was to think that he was sitting on a gold mine. On the other hand, it allows 2013 Craig to basically give away all of his 1980s cards to his son and neighborhood kids and become a hero.
Anyway, I hope This Christopher Fevurly gets his cards back. But on the bright side, it will probably be way cheaper to compile that collection now than it was back when he started it.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)