Jan 7, 2013, 9:38 AM EST
Slow news day, so we go to the police blotter:
A Wichita man says he plans to begin rebuilding a collection of more than 500 Ken Griffey Jr. baseball cards that were stolen from his home. Christopher Fevurly says thieves broke a window in his home and stole the cards, a television and computer monitor while he was in Arizona to watch the Fiesta Bowl.
Police have named Someone Who Still Thinks It’s 1993 as the primary suspect.
Just kidding, of course. I’m sure the collection meant a lot to Mr. Fevurly. But seeing stuff like this reminds me of (a) just how incredible Ken Griffey Jr. was for a while; (b) just how depressing it was that he couldn’t really keep the mojo going after going to Cincinnati; and (c) just how worthless baseball cards are these days compared to what they were worth back when Griffey first hit everyone’s radar.
As for that last part, I’m of two minds about baseball cards being more or less worthless these days. On the one hand it makes me think back to 1987 Craig and how foolish he was to think that he was sitting on a gold mine. On the other hand, it allows 2013 Craig to basically give away all of his 1980s cards to his son and neighborhood kids and become a hero.
Anyway, I hope This Christopher Fevurly gets his cards back. But on the bright side, it will probably be way cheaper to compile that collection now than it was back when he started it.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)