Jan 7, 2013, 9:38 AM EST
Slow news day, so we go to the police blotter:
A Wichita man says he plans to begin rebuilding a collection of more than 500 Ken Griffey Jr. baseball cards that were stolen from his home. Christopher Fevurly says thieves broke a window in his home and stole the cards, a television and computer monitor while he was in Arizona to watch the Fiesta Bowl.
Police have named Someone Who Still Thinks It’s 1993 as the primary suspect.
Just kidding, of course. I’m sure the collection meant a lot to Mr. Fevurly. But seeing stuff like this reminds me of (a) just how incredible Ken Griffey Jr. was for a while; (b) just how depressing it was that he couldn’t really keep the mojo going after going to Cincinnati; and (c) just how worthless baseball cards are these days compared to what they were worth back when Griffey first hit everyone’s radar.
As for that last part, I’m of two minds about baseball cards being more or less worthless these days. On the one hand it makes me think back to 1987 Craig and how foolish he was to think that he was sitting on a gold mine. On the other hand, it allows 2013 Craig to basically give away all of his 1980s cards to his son and neighborhood kids and become a hero.
Anyway, I hope This Christopher Fevurly gets his cards back. But on the bright side, it will probably be way cheaper to compile that collection now than it was back when he started it.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)