Jan 7, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
Slow news day, so we go to the police blotter:
A Wichita man says he plans to begin rebuilding a collection of more than 500 Ken Griffey Jr. baseball cards that were stolen from his home. Christopher Fevurly says thieves broke a window in his home and stole the cards, a television and computer monitor while he was in Arizona to watch the Fiesta Bowl.
Police have named Someone Who Still Thinks It’s 1993 as the primary suspect.
Just kidding, of course. I’m sure the collection meant a lot to Mr. Fevurly. But seeing stuff like this reminds me of (a) just how incredible Ken Griffey Jr. was for a while; (b) just how depressing it was that he couldn’t really keep the mojo going after going to Cincinnati; and (c) just how worthless baseball cards are these days compared to what they were worth back when Griffey first hit everyone’s radar.
As for that last part, I’m of two minds about baseball cards being more or less worthless these days. On the one hand it makes me think back to 1987 Craig and how foolish he was to think that he was sitting on a gold mine. On the other hand, it allows 2013 Craig to basically give away all of his 1980s cards to his son and neighborhood kids and become a hero.
Anyway, I hope This Christopher Fevurly gets his cards back. But on the bright side, it will probably be way cheaper to compile that collection now than it was back when he started it.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 2
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)