Meanwhile, in Kansas

Jan 7, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT

Flying Ken Griffey

Slow news day, so we go to the police blotter:

A Wichita man says he plans to begin rebuilding a collection of more than 500 Ken Griffey Jr. baseball cards that were stolen from his home. Christopher Fevurly says thieves broke a window in his home and stole the cards, a television and computer monitor while he was in Arizona to watch the Fiesta Bowl.

Police have named Someone Who Still Thinks It’s 1993 as the primary suspect.

Just kidding, of course. I’m sure the collection meant a lot to Mr. Fevurly. But seeing stuff like this reminds me of (a) just how incredible Ken Griffey Jr. was for a while; (b) just how depressing it was that he couldn’t really keep the mojo going after going to Cincinnati; and (c) just how worthless baseball cards are these days compared to what they were worth back when Griffey first hit everyone’s radar.

As for that last part, I’m of two minds about baseball cards being more or less worthless these days. On the one hand it makes me think back to 1987 Craig and how foolish he was to think that he was sitting on a gold mine.  On the other hand, it allows 2013 Craig to basically give away all of his 1980s cards to his son and neighborhood kids and become a hero.

Anyway, I hope This Christopher Fevurly gets his cards back. But on the bright side, it will probably be way cheaper to compile that collection now than it was back when he started it.

1. shawon0meter - Jan 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM

“Police have named Someone Who Still Thinks It’s 1993 as the primary suspect.”

Love it.

2. darthicarus - Jan 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I’ll just assume since the thieves viewed those cards as some of the “valuable” items in the room that the computer monitor was a bulky CRT and the TV was as well. Best of luck replacing the items good sir.

• sportsdrenched - Jan 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM

That’s because we don’t have flat screens & laptops here yet.

• mcs7584 - Jan 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Shut up. There are two flat screens at the drive-in.

• blacksables - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM

They’re even in stereo if they play the same movie at the same time.

3. sportsdrenched - Jan 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

On a serious note. If I find out who this thief is, I’m going to invite him to my garage. I’m sure he’d find bunches of useful stuff in there.

4. mcs7584 - Jan 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

1993? That’s giving us way too much credit. Most people here are stuck in 1953.

• historiophiliac - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

In which case, he thinks the monitor he took is a magnifying machine to help him look at all his baseball cards.

5. Old Gator - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Anybody seen Dorothy lately?

6. cfevurly - Jan 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Man, how classy are you guys? Thanks so much for the support.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey