Jan 7, 2013, 1:49 PM EST
Carl Pavano tried to talk the Twins and Marlins into reunions, but they weren’t interested. So now he’s trying to go back to New York, with the Mets.
Pavano’s agent told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that there’s “mutual interest” between the two sides, but so far talks are “very preliminary.”
Pavano’s velocity and strikeout rate have been dropping for a while now and he missed most of last season with a shoulder injury, throwing 63 innings with a ghastly 6.00 ERA before finally shutting things down.
At age 37 he might still have another season or two in him as a decent back-of-the-rotation starter, but even that’s far from a sure thing and it’s hard to imagine teams wanting to give him anything beyond a minor-league deal.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)