Jan 7, 2013, 4:01 PM EST
Nothing else is going on, so here’s a really shallow Hall of Fame thought:
I think it’s almost certain — like, 99.9% certain — that there is already a member of the Hall of Fame who used performance enhancing drugs. Not just greenies, but 1980s-90s-2000s-style steroids, HGH and all of that stuff that causes everyone so much consternation. I even have a couple of ideas of players who may have — guys who aren’t normally mentioned in these conversations — though I won’t say their names for risk that someone take my baseless speculation as some sort of actual information, which it is not.
But if I had a genie who granted me three wishes, I’d use one of the wishes to wish for a million more wishes. Then, with one of those million more wishes, I’d wish that one of those Hall of Fame players announce today that, yes, he was juiced to the gills. No apologies, no explanations, just a “yeah, I was totally ‘roided up,” after which he drops the mic and goes back to hunting, fishing, signing autographs and whatever else he does in his retirement.
Wouldn’t it just make everyone’s head explode?
And while it is a shallow thought, it’s not just some hypothetical thing. Because one day we’re going to learn about a Hall of Famer who used PEDs, at which point one of the leading arguments against voting in the Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens of the world is going to make even less sense than it already does.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)