Jan 7, 2013, 4:01 PM EST
Nothing else is going on, so here’s a really shallow Hall of Fame thought:
I think it’s almost certain — like, 99.9% certain — that there is already a member of the Hall of Fame who used performance enhancing drugs. Not just greenies, but 1980s-90s-2000s-style steroids, HGH and all of that stuff that causes everyone so much consternation. I even have a couple of ideas of players who may have — guys who aren’t normally mentioned in these conversations — though I won’t say their names for risk that someone take my baseless speculation as some sort of actual information, which it is not.
But if I had a genie who granted me three wishes, I’d use one of the wishes to wish for a million more wishes. Then, with one of those million more wishes, I’d wish that one of those Hall of Fame players announce today that, yes, he was juiced to the gills. No apologies, no explanations, just a “yeah, I was totally ‘roided up,” after which he drops the mic and goes back to hunting, fishing, signing autographs and whatever else he does in his retirement.
Wouldn’t it just make everyone’s head explode?
And while it is a shallow thought, it’s not just some hypothetical thing. Because one day we’re going to learn about a Hall of Famer who used PEDs, at which point one of the leading arguments against voting in the Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens of the world is going to make even less sense than it already does.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)