Jan 7, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
According to Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle, Roger Clemens is on the verge of taking an “active role” with the Astros. While there were all sorts of rumblings late last year about him making a comeback, the 50-year-old will not be pitching.
As of now, the Astros envision Clemens providing guidance to their pitchers during spring training and the regular season. The seven-time Cy Young Award winner is scheduled to meet with general manager Jeff Luhnow next Monday to discuss some of the details.
“We’ve got the whole calendar mapped out and we’re going to sort of figure out what makes sense,” Luhnow said Monday. “But the idea is to plug him in in spring training, plug him in throughout the season, and just have him get a lot more involved with our pitchers.”
Clemens agreed to a personal services contract under former Astros owner Drayton McLane, but he hasn’t been involved with the club since 2007. However, after he was acquitted of all charges in his perjury trial last summer, new owner Jim Crane said that he would welcome him back into the organization. Now he’s ready to make good.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)