Jan 8, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
It seems like Craig Biggio is going to be the first 3,000 hit guy to not make the Hall of Fame on his first try (non-Palmeiro division) in living memory. Seems silly, especially considering how good he was defensively and how he was no mere singles hitter. But that’s not as silly as the reasons some people are offering for not voting for him. Like George Vecsey:
Craig Biggio? He played three positions – very impressive – and has excellent longevity numbers – but was not necessarily the most feared hitter on his own team. Wait a year.
By that reasoning you wouldn’t vote for Lou Gehrig, Yogi Berra, Joe Morgan, Willie McCovey, Eddie Matthews, Gary Carter, Charlie Gerhinger and probably a dozen other guys. Derek Jeter too, for that matter. Oh, and it’s even sillier when you realize that the guy who was the most feared hitter on that team — Jeff Bagwell — isn’t up to snuff for Vecsey either.
The mental gymnastics people will go through to avoid voting for someone have gotten pretty impressive.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (158)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)