Jan 8, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
It seems like Craig Biggio is going to be the first 3,000 hit guy to not make the Hall of Fame on his first try (non-Palmeiro division) in living memory. Seems silly, especially considering how good he was defensively and how he was no mere singles hitter. But that’s not as silly as the reasons some people are offering for not voting for him. Like George Vecsey:
Craig Biggio? He played three positions – very impressive – and has excellent longevity numbers – but was not necessarily the most feared hitter on his own team. Wait a year.
By that reasoning you wouldn’t vote for Lou Gehrig, Yogi Berra, Joe Morgan, Willie McCovey, Eddie Matthews, Gary Carter, Charlie Gerhinger and probably a dozen other guys. Derek Jeter too, for that matter. Oh, and it’s even sillier when you realize that the guy who was the most feared hitter on that team — Jeff Bagwell — isn’t up to snuff for Vecsey either.
The mental gymnastics people will go through to avoid voting for someone have gotten pretty impressive.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (125)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)