Jan 8, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
It seems like Craig Biggio is going to be the first 3,000 hit guy to not make the Hall of Fame on his first try (non-Palmeiro division) in living memory. Seems silly, especially considering how good he was defensively and how he was no mere singles hitter. But that’s not as silly as the reasons some people are offering for not voting for him. Like George Vecsey:
Craig Biggio? He played three positions – very impressive – and has excellent longevity numbers – but was not necessarily the most feared hitter on his own team. Wait a year.
By that reasoning you wouldn’t vote for Lou Gehrig, Yogi Berra, Joe Morgan, Willie McCovey, Eddie Matthews, Gary Carter, Charlie Gerhinger and probably a dozen other guys. Derek Jeter too, for that matter. Oh, and it’s even sillier when you realize that the guy who was the most feared hitter on that team — Jeff Bagwell — isn’t up to snuff for Vecsey either.
The mental gymnastics people will go through to avoid voting for someone have gotten pretty impressive.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (216)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)