Man falsely accused of the Bryan Stow beating has his lawsuit dismissed

Jan 8, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Parole board mug shot of suspect Giovanni Ramirez

Back in 2011,  aman named Giovanni Ramirez, was arrested in connection with the beating of Bryan Stow outside Dodger Stadium on Opening Day.  His face and name was plastered all over the place, but there was just one problem: he didn’t do it. Wasn’t anywhere near the place. He was ultimately exonerated, but it took months, all the while city officials said publicly that he was the man who did it.

Then he sued the city. The suit, however, was not successful:

Los Angeles’ defense attorney says a federal court has dismissed a lawsuit brought by a man who was arrested in the beating of a San Francisco Giants fan outside Dodger Stadium and later cleared. City Attorney Carmen Trutanich’s office on Monday announced the dismissal of Giovanni Ramirez’s lawsuit against Los Angeles and Police Chief Charlie Beck.

It’s unclear what the basis was for the dismissal, but it’s worth noting that it’s awfully hard to sue the government in cases like these, so success was never assured.

1. koufaxmitzvah - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

That teardrop tattoo makes him look sad.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM

The neck tattoo, on the other hand, makes him look mucho, mucho macho.

• stfucraig - Jan 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Aman? You can’t proofread 4 words of your own writing?

• koufaxmitzvah - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I consider the Teardrop of “teardrop tattoo” to be one word.

You got a problem with the arts?

• stfucraig - Jan 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Not you koufax, the unprofessional author of this article Craig Calcaterra, who hopefully who will need to find another job. he sure can’t do this one.

aman named Giovanni Ramirez

• tsutor88 - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

This dude is clearly not a shining member of society, and one can understand that with one glance at him…

BUT…. this guy was detained in a jail for months, his name and faced plastered everywhere for the world to see, reputation completely ruined.

How does he not get restitution for this? Yea I’m a Caucasian male. I’d venture to say if they threw me in a cage for almost a year, slandered my name, I wouldn’t just take it like a bit**. I’d be such a pain in their rear end, for like, a long time…

• bigdicktater - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I thought a teardrop indicated you had killed someone.

2. ktourek - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Can the city of LA countersue on the grounds that he has terrible tattoos?

• rocketsteadman - Jan 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Is that a cityscape above the adams apple?

3. freddsox - Jan 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Dang, now I have to go rob a 7-11 to make some money

4. cur68 - Jan 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Wowie. That’s a lot of ink. I believe we have here a man who believes his body is a blank canvas. Given the quality of art on display clearly his taste in art is also a blank canvas. Looks like he was graffiti tagged by a 12 year old with a sharpie.

Memo time, people: know when to say when.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jan 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Apparently, Hard doesn’t translate into Canadian.

• El Bravo - Jan 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Have you seen that tough guy Justin Bieber? Hardest Canadian around I tells ya.

5. Francisco (FC) - Jan 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I’m guessing he was seeking damages from defamation, and claiming that his reputation took a hit while the City officials insisted he was the guy. I’m fairly certain at least 50% of L.A. STILL believes this guy did it. When you spend so much time advertising something as fact and it gains traction, it is extremely hard to undo.

6. echech88 - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Maybe don’t try so freaking hard to look the part of a criminal if you don’t want to be mistaken for one. This is literally what I would imagine a stereotypical caricature of an LA gang member would look like.

Also, aside from this guy, gotta love people committing crimes insisting on branding themselves with unique, permanent identifiers all over their face and neck. Can’t believe you got caught!

• historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Yeah, round up the usual suspects!

/s