Jan 8, 2013, 6:29 AM EDT
Yesterday I put up a short post about the plans in Japan to build a Yu Darvish museum. In it I made a few jokes playing off the idea that Darvish, for all of his success in Japan, has yet to create a museum-worthy track record in the United States, so it may be amusing to Americans to hear about a museum actually being built for him. I likened it to a Tuffy Rhodes or Warren Cromartie museum, two players who also saw much greater success in NPB than in the U.S.
That apparently didn’t play too well in Japan. Patrick Newman of NPB tracker forwards me an article from Sanspo, a daily Japanese sports newspaper, with the headline “Harsh words for the Darvish Museum.” Google translate does pretty poorly with Japanese, it seems, but the best I can tell is that the writer is mad at me for what directly translates to “dry coverage,” which I’m going to guess is something close to sarcasm or snark or something. There is a reference at the end to “yakkamu,” which seems to mean jealousy. Perhaps the writer is saying I’m jealous? I’m not really sure.
Sorry folks, didn’t mean to be harsh. I like Darvish. I think he’s a swell pitcher and I do appreciate how good he was in Japan. I’m simply going to take some amusement at the idea of a museum being built for someone who is only 26 no matter who he is or where he gained his fame.
And no, there is no way I’m getting into an Internet fight across languages. Even my trolling and snarking has its limits.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (244)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)