The Orioles have inquired about Justin Upton

Jan 8, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Just add ‘em to the list:

They may be focused on pitchers, but Upton is not the first outfielder the O’s have been linked to this offseason. Just a couple of days ago they, as so many other teams who have asked about Upton, asked about his Arizona teammate Jason Kubel. They also inquired about Cody Ross, though that was obviously before Ross signed with Arizona. The O’s aren’t hung up on the Diamondbacks, right?

Every team, however, seems like they’d want Upton. My guess is that until Arizona gets slightly more realistic about what they can get for him, we’ll see a lot of these “[Team] called, but not really pushing hard” kind of reports.

1. djpostl - Jan 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Orioles would have to include Cal Ripken (and all his assets) to make that deal happen.

2. psuravens19 - Jan 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Here is how the conversation went:

Towers: Hey Dan, you interested in Upton?
    Dan: Sure, what are you thinking?
    Towers: Bundy and….
    Dan: Let me stop you there; I’m not interested anymore.

• alang3131982 - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I dont know — Upton is only 25. Sure he has 5 years on Bundy, but Bundy is a pitcher so i imagine, on an aggregate, you’d get more years out of Upton than you would Bundy. Of course, Bundy wont be a free agent until 2019 and Upton will likely be taking his talents to the open market in 2016.

If it wasnt for that longer and cheaper control, it might be worth the dice. But Upton is just going to get expensive very fast. Still, close in my opinion

3. ktourek - Jan 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Dear Jon Heyman and Ken Rosenthal, enough with the Justin Upton trade rumors…please let us know if a trade is ever finalized. You’re just getting the hopes of about a dozen fanbases up with all these rumors only to crash them the next day with another rumor.

4. adcoop22 - Jan 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM

“My guess is that until Arizona gets slightly more realistic about what they can get for him…”

Is he really not equal value for a guy that will be in the minors (Profar) or a borderline all-star SS (Cabrera or Andrus)?

5. thatchrisjames - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I would give up Bundy and Arrieta for Upton. Adding Justin would make a killer outfield and a good bat. I would put him in RF and move Markakis to 1st and Davis at DH….

All the trade deadline news to know