Tigers, Cubs, Orioles talking about a potential three-way trade involving Rick Porcello and J.J. Hardy

Jan 8, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT

rick porcello getty Getty Images

This could be fun, even if it’s somewhat vexing: MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports that the Tigers have discussed trading Rick Porcello to the Cubs, with the Orioles involved as a possible third party.

The Orioles’ piece: J.J. Hardy, who Kubatko says the Tigers really want.  Which, given that Jhonny Peralta is already under contract with the Tigers and has nowhere else to play except short, doesn’t say a lot about their opinion of Peralta.

Less clear is what the Orioles would get.  They reportedly want pitching, but if they’re not getting Porcello here, this doesn’t make a ton of sense. Maybe the Cubs initiated all of it and the Tigers and the Orioles will dump them on the curb later and do their own thing?

I dunno. But at this point it’s more fun to think about than the Hall of Fame, right?

1. El Bravo - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

JJ Hardy: first ballot Hall of Famer. Juicer or not.

2. pipkin42 - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Wasn’t Hardy-for-Porcello rumored back in December or even November?

In any case, clearing short for Machado would be good, and getting a piece or two for Hardy would be even better.

3. rocketsteadman - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Maybe the D-Backs would like to join this devils 3-way to make things more interesting. I hear they’re trying to shop Justin Upton.

• Jeremy T - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Wow, what a scoop!

4. husky2score - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I literally screamed NO as soon as I heard this! Baltimore loves JJ and I’m sure there is another we can work a trade out. Don’t trade Hardy!!!!!

• evan5 - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

You can’t block Machado forever…

That being said, I don’t think the O’s are ready to promote Machado and may price Hardy out of any potential deal. It really all depends on how comfortable the O’s are in starting Manny.

The Tigers would be sure to try to involve Peralta in this deal as well as Porcello, since Hardy would take over SS in Detroit leaving Jhonny without a job.

• husky2score - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The O’s are not blocking Machado, and they are especially not blocking Machado “forever”. The kid is/was a top prospect, and he looked like he has been playing third base his whole life, even though he is/was a shortstop. Personally for me, I think the O’s are not afraid to make Manny their starting third basemen who could fill in at SS every now and then if he needed to. If Peralta was traded to the O’s, then I guess I would be fine with Hardy becoming a Tiger.

As for the last part of your comment, if Peralta was involve in the deal and, say, was traded, then he would not be jobless as he was traded onto a different team.

One last thing. Machado would not be the first big prospect to switch positions. If I recall correctly (and correct me if I am wrong), Bryce Harper was originally a catcher, who became an outfielder for the Nats.

• paperlions - Jan 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Harper caught in HS. He never caught a single game of pro ball.

If the O’s move Machado to 3B, they are cutting his value off at the knees. His primary value is as an offensive SS that isn’t a defensive liability (and projects to even play plus defense), as a 3B a lot of that value is gone.

• husky2score - Jan 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Ok, so I can just flip-flop my comment of Machado playing 3B, but playing SS when he needs to. However, I disagree with you saying that if Machado plays third, a lot of his value is gone. Machado made several outstanding plays. I mean, we cannot forget the pump fake he pulled off. Anyway, Machado is still a great amount of value SS or 3B.

5. budro99 - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Evan5… You do know that Machado played 3rd the entire second half of the season? He has been promoted and is staying up. Seems like an odd play unless the Os have a solid 3rd baseman somewhere…sure they would love to have Porcello.

• evan5 - Jan 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Sorry, should have clarified: The O’s seem comfortable with Hardy at SS and if they are going to start Machado this season it would be at 3rd, not SS. So they would have to feel comfortable starting Manny at SS and replacing Hardy there.

• evan5 - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Oh and Peralta could fill in that 3B spot vacated by Manny’s move to SS.

6. realbenrush - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Would it be a stretch to think this is what is happening?

Orioles Receive: Garza / Peralta (either staying at SS or moving to 3B)
    Tigers Receive: JJ Hardy / LJ Hoes
    Cubs Receive: Porcello

• realbenrush - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Clearly meant Arrieta or Matusz instead of Hoes … am I right or am I right?

• mclovinib - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

ahhh,,= NO

• husky2score - Jan 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM

As a diehard O’s fan, I would like to see Hoes play a bit more for Baltimore. I have heard that he has good, but not great potential. We have seen enough of Arrieta to know that he won’t get more than 10-12 wins per year. As for Matusz, he has yet to evolve into a top starter the O’s hoped for, but looks comfortable as a reliever. With that said, I would like to see Arrieta or Matusz leave and for the O’s to keep LJ Hoes.

• hackerjay - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

The Cubs would want to get more then just Porcello for Garza. Maybe Porcello and Castellanos.

• jdd428 - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Yeah, the Cubs would want more than Porcello for Garza. But you’re dreaming if you think they’d give up Castellanos in a deal like this.

• hackerjay - Jan 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I only mention Castellanos because the Cubs wanted him and Jacob Turner for Garza last offseason. I don’t think that it would be a particularly great trade for the Tigers, but I think that’s about where the Cubs see Garza’s value.

Keep in mind that Porcello is actually pretty expensive, and he’s a below average pitcher. Yeah, he has some upside and he throws a decent number of innings, but I don’t think teams see him as much more then a #4.

• Alex K - Jan 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I agree. No way that is all the Cubs take for Garza. Porcello is a nice start, but not enough.

• clutch02 - Jan 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM

there is no way nick castellanos is in this deal. it will take a hell of a player to get garza or castellanos and hardy is has a good year every 5 years

• joegolfer - Jan 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Porcello blows. And the Cubs already have more starters than open slots for starters.
        Makes no sense unless the Cubs get a good position player, not a SP.

• joerymi - Jan 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Yeah, the Cubs aren’t giving up Garza straight-up for Porcello, regardless of age difference. Garza’s value isn’t huge since he is a pending free agent, but it seems they could get a little bit more than Porcello.

And…there is zero chance the Tigers would deal Castellanos for JJ Hardy.

7. treye2 - Jan 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I don’t know if this happens but this is a blockbuster deal for all parties involved. Those are HUGE names being thrown around. Yawn

8. weaselpuppy - Jan 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM

any deal w Castellanos w the Cubs involves Castro i.e. no deal

Hardy Reimold Patton and a C+ prospect for Porcello Peralta and Boesch

• paperlions - Jan 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Why would the Orioles do that? Porcello has been horrible. Boesch is almost 28 and was one of the worst players in the majors last year, he can’t play defense anywhere and he’s generally been a below average hitter. Peralta is nearly 31, has had 1 good year since 2008, and is not an upgrade from Hardy.

• clutch02 - Jan 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Porcello is far from horrible. he is a ground ball pitcher with an infield that has limited range. And he is far from expensive he made a little over 3mil last year and is under team control through 2015. He just turned 24 and already has 48 wins which is the same as anibal sanchez who has a sub 500 record and is 29yr old. Give the kid machado at short and peralta at 3rd and he’ll probably cut that era by a run

• dawgpoundmember - Jan 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I agree mostly with clutch on this entire post. I have been saying all winter the tigers need to upgrade at short and I think NL teams with a infield that is in better shape than I am will make porcello live up to what he should do. Porcello trade potential is at a high.

Everybody has said what could the tigers get at short tho? Batting numbers Hardy would be at least even, I don’t watch him, but if his range can at least cover from his hole to 2nd base, it’s a deal.

But, I feel this will go until July for the tigers.

9. rockthered1286 - Jan 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Baltimore loves Party Hardy, but that’s not the real issue here. It’s the infield position to be filled. Peralta is a huge step down from Hardy. We already have a questionable situation at 2B with Brian “can he actual make it more than ten games this year?” Roberts. I think our rotation is in decent shape as well, especially with the possibility of seeing Bundy jump this year. So why make this move if it bumps someone else out of your packed rotation, and decreases the quality of your infield? I’m not seeing it UNLESS this is a precursor to a bigger move. At which point I’d be excited. Maybe.

Yanno… Being an O’s fan for so long you think I’d stop taking these things at face value since 99% of the time they never pan out.

10. historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I am so doubtful about this.

11. beelza - Jan 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I’d really like to hear about the long-term impact of the civilisation killing, original sin 2.0, remarks by Torii Hunter regarding his social ideology, specifically “lesbians in the locher room.”

All the trade deadline news to know