Jan 9, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Good day to dump some bad news! Jerry Crasnick reports that Astros top prospect Jonathan Singleton has been suspended 50 games. Singleton’s statement:
“I was informed today that I have tested positive for marijuana,” Singleton said in the statement. “As a result, I am being suspended for the first 50 games of the 2013 season. I accept the penalty and take full responsibility for my actions. I apologize to my parents, the Houston Astros and (general manager) Jeff Luhnow.”
Singleton is not on the Astros’ 40-man roster. Had he been, he would not be suspended because baseball does not test guys on the 40-man roster for marijuana.
In other news, no one has been suspended for drunk driving in baseball ever.
Singleton, 21, hit .284/.396/.497 in the Texas League last year. Keith Law ranks him as the 46th best prospect in all of baseball.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)