Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 PM EST
From beat writer Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle:
I learned today that free-agent Brian Wilson has completed his long-toss program and should begin throwing off a mound soon as he bids to return from his second “Tommy John” surgery. He continues to work out under the Giants’ supervision.
It’s standard procedure for a free agent to rehab with his old team, with which he incurred the injury.
CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reported late last month that Wilson was drawing interest from 10 different major league teams but had already narrowed his list of potential destinations down to five “or so” cities.
The 30-year-old right-hander had the reconstructive elbow procedure on April 20, so he could be ready for Opening Day if he’s able to avoid setbacks this spring.
Wilson owns a 3.21 ERA and 9.6 K/9 through seven MLB seasons. He’s been an All-Star three times.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)