Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
From beat writer Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle:
I learned today that free-agent Brian Wilson has completed his long-toss program and should begin throwing off a mound soon as he bids to return from his second “Tommy John” surgery. He continues to work out under the Giants’ supervision.
It’s standard procedure for a free agent to rehab with his old team, with which he incurred the injury.
CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reported late last month that Wilson was drawing interest from 10 different major league teams but had already narrowed his list of potential destinations down to five “or so” cities.
The 30-year-old right-hander had the reconstructive elbow procedure on April 20, so he could be ready for Opening Day if he’s able to avoid setbacks this spring.
Wilson owns a 3.21 ERA and 9.6 K/9 through seven MLB seasons. He’s been an All-Star three times.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)