Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
From beat writer Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle:
I learned today that free-agent Brian Wilson has completed his long-toss program and should begin throwing off a mound soon as he bids to return from his second “Tommy John” surgery. He continues to work out under the Giants’ supervision.
It’s standard procedure for a free agent to rehab with his old team, with which he incurred the injury.
CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reported late last month that Wilson was drawing interest from 10 different major league teams but had already narrowed his list of potential destinations down to five “or so” cities.
The 30-year-old right-hander had the reconstructive elbow procedure on April 20, so he could be ready for Opening Day if he’s able to avoid setbacks this spring.
Wilson owns a 3.21 ERA and 9.6 K/9 through seven MLB seasons. He’s been an All-Star three times.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)