Brian Wilson almost ready to begin mound work

Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT

brian wilson getty Getty Images

From beat writer Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle:

I learned today that free-agent Brian Wilson has completed his long-toss program and should begin throwing off a mound soon as he bids to return from his second “Tommy John” surgery. He continues to work out under the Giants’ supervision.

It’s standard procedure for a free agent to rehab with his old team, with which he incurred the injury.

CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reported late last month that Wilson was drawing interest from 10 different major league teams but had already narrowed his list of potential destinations down to five “or so” cities.

The 30-year-old right-hander had the reconstructive elbow procedure on April 20, so he could be ready for Opening Day if he’s able to avoid setbacks this spring.

Wilson owns a 3.21 ERA and 9.6 K/9 through seven MLB seasons. He’s been an All-Star three times.

1. APBA Guy - Jan 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Thank god the HoF vote is over so we can begin the countdown to pitchers and catchers report day, which is roughly 35 days now.

As for the Beard, being ready on opening day is optimistic but it does happen. Though we’ve seen that with closers, like Joe Nathan, it can take time beyond making the first appearance to get back arm strength and control. Wilson’s best asset was never his control, it was that he was a battler, never afraid to take the ball and let it rip. He could be Nuke LaLouche when he first comes back, though.

2. historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Rowr!

• stex52 - Jan 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM

You chicks and beards. I never grew one until after I was safely married. If only I had known sooner…….. I could have gotten myself in a lot of trouble.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Oops, I didn’t really mean that as a sexy roar. lol I don’t discriminate on facial hair though. My criteria is more about the ability to grow facial hair than the outcome. But, why do I think you got yourself a little trouble anyway, stex?

• stex52 - Jan 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

No ma’am. I married better than I deserved. Never wanted to mess with that.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Good man.

3. barroomhero80 - Jan 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM

So

4. rvnc - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I’d like to see him back with the Giants, but it probably won’t happen. Detroit is probably the best fit baseball wise, but his act won’t play well at all there….

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I was with you until the very end on that.

• rvnc - Jan 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

nothing against the tigers man, just they seem pretty straight-laced and i’m not sure his ‘lets get weird’ approach will go down too well…

5. beelza - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM

2 major recontructive surgeries, big mouth, loud mouth, bad temper and displays it in front of national tv audience, seems more concerned with his old and tired image than the game being played, a disturbing and distracting personality. Last, but not least, he no longer can walk his talk. Sounds like a perfect fit for the Lions. Don’t worry detroit fans, matt millen will scout him and he never misses anything.

6. bricktop02 - Jan 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

The beard is old. Time for a new look guy.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4168)