Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
From beat writer Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle:
I learned today that free-agent Brian Wilson has completed his long-toss program and should begin throwing off a mound soon as he bids to return from his second “Tommy John” surgery. He continues to work out under the Giants’ supervision.
It’s standard procedure for a free agent to rehab with his old team, with which he incurred the injury.
CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reported late last month that Wilson was drawing interest from 10 different major league teams but had already narrowed his list of potential destinations down to five “or so” cities.
The 30-year-old right-hander had the reconstructive elbow procedure on April 20, so he could be ready for Opening Day if he’s able to avoid setbacks this spring.
Wilson owns a 3.21 ERA and 9.6 K/9 through seven MLB seasons. He’s been an All-Star three times.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)