Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
From beat writer Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle:
I learned today that free-agent Brian Wilson has completed his long-toss program and should begin throwing off a mound soon as he bids to return from his second “Tommy John” surgery. He continues to work out under the Giants’ supervision.
It’s standard procedure for a free agent to rehab with his old team, with which he incurred the injury.
CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reported late last month that Wilson was drawing interest from 10 different major league teams but had already narrowed his list of potential destinations down to five “or so” cities.
The 30-year-old right-hander had the reconstructive elbow procedure on April 20, so he could be ready for Opening Day if he’s able to avoid setbacks this spring.
Wilson owns a 3.21 ERA and 9.6 K/9 through seven MLB seasons. He’s been an All-Star three times.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)