Did I do something wrong? Because I really don’t understand this at all

Jan 9, 2013, 2:33 PM EST

Hi, I’m Mike Piazza.*

source:

Do you remember me?  Normally I wouldn’t ask that because I seem to remember being quite famous a few years ago, but it seems like several hundred people whose business it was to follow my career have forgotten me, and I just don’t know how to deal with that.  I mean, I know there were better players than me, but I hit .308/.377/.545 for my career with 427 homers in 16 seasons. My career OPS+ was 143. The next three catchers on that list whose careers have already ended are Mickey Cochrane, Bill Dickey and Johnny Bench, and they’re way behind. I played in the World Series. Everyone said when I played that I was heading to the Hall of Fame.

But today I got just 57.8% of the vote, and at the risk of sounding arrogant, I think that’s kinda light, don’t you?

It’s almost as if someone is holding something against me and my Hall of Fame candidacy apart from what I did on the field.  I know that’s possible! It happens to a lot of players these days. But (again, sorry for being narcissistic) I Googled myself and I couldn’t find a single article written which presents any facts which would reasonably lead someone to withhold their vote. I wasn’t named on any lists or outed in anyone’s book. There’s just … nothing.

It’s almost as if 42.8% of the Hall of Fame electorate has been talking about me behind my back, too cowardly to come out and accuse me of something, yet holding that something against me all the same. I’m just a simple man from Pennsylvania and I don’t necessarily understand how everything in the world works, but that strikes me as kinda wrong.

Sorry if that’s rude, but it beats the other explanation I have in mind: that 42.8% of the BBWAA are blithering idiots and wouldn’t know a Hall of Fame catcher if Carlton Fisk fell out of the sky, landed on their face and started to wiggle.

Thanks for your time.

*At least we here are assuming this was Mike Piazza. We heard this voice with a distinct Pennsylvania accent saying these words in our head moments after the Hall of Fame results were announced and felt duty-bound to put to pen to paper in order to preserve them for posterity.

Latest Posts
  1. Mets don’t intend to talk extension with Daniel Murphy

Feb 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

Daniel Murphy AP AP

While Daniel Murphy would like to discuss a contract extension with the Mets, it looks like a foregone conclusion that he will test free agency after the 2015 season.

2. Nick Markakis apologizes for his comments regarding contract talks with the Orioles

Feb 26, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Nick Markakis AP AP

Braves outfielder Nick Markakis recently expressed frustration about how contract talks with the Orioles broke down over the winter.

3. Shane Victorino is ready to go back to switch-hitting

Feb 26, 2015, 8:40 PM EST

Shane Victorino Getty Getty Images

Victorino gave up hitting from the left side late in 2013, but he’s ready to give it another shot.

4. Matt Harvey tentatively scheduled to make spring debut on March 6

Feb 26, 2015, 7:15 PM EST

Matt Harvey AP AP

It will be Harvey’s first game action since he underwent Tommy John surgery 16 months ago.

5. Blue Jays sign Johan Santana

Feb 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EST

Johan Santana Getty Getty Images

Santana hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to injury.

6. Barry Zito on his one-year retirement: “You want to be back in that game so bad”

Feb 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EST

Barry Zito Getty Images

“I think hanging it up is going to be harder for guys than they realize, after being out of it for a year.”

7. What’s driving the A-Rod media circus? The media, of course.

Feb 26, 2015, 2:06 PM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

Shame on A-Rod for making the reporters obsess about him.

8. Ike Davis is still mad at the Mets for saying that he partied too hard

Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

ike davis getty Getty Images

It’s been two and a half years, but it still leaves a “dirty taste” in his mouth.

9. Wily Mo Pena is staying in Japan

Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

wily mo pena headshot ap AP

Pena once looked like a potential star for the Reds and Red Sox, but then washed out by age 26.

10. Max Scherzer has added a cutter to his arsenal

Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EST

Max Scherzer AP

He also (a) wants to emulate Greg Maddux; and (b) asked Sandy Koufax about his curveball.

11. The Phillies slowly enter the era of analytics

Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

phillies logo

Welcome to 2002, Ruben Amaro!

12. Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers

Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM EST

Francisco Rodriguez AP

Two weeks ago Francisco Rodriguez was said to be holding out for a two-year contract.

13. For the 100th time, the Yankees are not for sale

Feb 26, 2015, 9:37 AM EST

Yankees logo

Even if Mike Lupica thinks they will be soon.

1. J. Hamilton (4181)