Did I do something wrong? Because I really don’t understand this at all

Jan 9, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT

Hi, I’m Mike Piazza.*

source:

Do you remember me?  Normally I wouldn’t ask that because I seem to remember being quite famous a few years ago, but it seems like several hundred people whose business it was to follow my career have forgotten me, and I just don’t know how to deal with that.  I mean, I know there were better players than me, but I hit .308/.377/.545 for my career with 427 homers in 16 seasons. My career OPS+ was 143. The next three catchers on that list whose careers have already ended are Mickey Cochrane, Bill Dickey and Johnny Bench, and they’re way behind. I played in the World Series. Everyone said when I played that I was heading to the Hall of Fame.

But today I got just 57.8% of the vote, and at the risk of sounding arrogant, I think that’s kinda light, don’t you?

It’s almost as if someone is holding something against me and my Hall of Fame candidacy apart from what I did on the field.  I know that’s possible! It happens to a lot of players these days. But (again, sorry for being narcissistic) I Googled myself and I couldn’t find a single article written which presents any facts which would reasonably lead someone to withhold their vote. I wasn’t named on any lists or outed in anyone’s book. There’s just … nothing.

It’s almost as if 42.8% of the Hall of Fame electorate has been talking about me behind my back, too cowardly to come out and accuse me of something, yet holding that something against me all the same. I’m just a simple man from Pennsylvania and I don’t necessarily understand how everything in the world works, but that strikes me as kinda wrong.

Sorry if that’s rude, but it beats the other explanation I have in mind: that 42.8% of the BBWAA are blithering idiots and wouldn’t know a Hall of Fame catcher if Carlton Fisk fell out of the sky, landed on their face and started to wiggle.

Thanks for your time.

*At least we here are assuming this was Mike Piazza. We heard this voice with a distinct Pennsylvania accent saying these words in our head moments after the Hall of Fame results were announced and felt duty-bound to put to pen to paper in order to preserve them for posterity.

Latest Posts
  1. Oswaldo Arcia Bo Jackson’d his bat after a strikeout

Jul 28, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT

Oswaldo Arcia AP

Twins outfielder Oswaldo Arcia was unhappy about striking out yesterday against the White Sox, so he snapped his bat over his knee, Bo Jackson-style.

2. Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence

Jul 28, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT

Milton Bradley angry

The NFL weighed in on domestic violence and concluded “eh, no big deal.” MLB has tended to avoid the matter altogether.

3. Jason Heyward leaves game with back injury

Jul 28, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Jason Heyward Getty Getty Images

Braves right fielder Jason Heyward left this afternoon’s game what the team is calling lower back soreness.

4. Phillies release Tony Gwynn Jr.

Jul 28, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT

tony gwynn jr. getty Getty Images

Gwynn had a brief run as a regular for the Padres and Dodgers, but he profiles strictly as a backup outfielder at this point and at age 31 will likely have to prove himself at Triple-A for a while after hitting just .163 in 67 games for the Phillies.

5. “If The Boss Was Still Alive” Watch: George Steinbrenner was absent from Joe Torre’s Hall of Fame speech

Jul 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 11.55.47 AM

Soon we’ll be praying to Steinbrenner before every meal and thanking him for all that He has bestowed upon us.

6. Before and after: Dmitri Young lost a TON of weight

Jul 28, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT

John McDonnell / TWP and via @Nationals) John McDonnell / TWP and via @Nationals)

During his 13-year MLB career Dmitri Young was one of the largest players in baseball, often struggling with his weight while being listed at 6-foot-2, 295 pounds.

7. Ubaldo Jimenez set to begin rehab assignment (again)

Jul 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

Baltimore Orioles v New York Yankees Getty Images

Ubaldo Jimenez was scratched from his scheduled minor-league rehab start last week, but now the Orioles right-hander is slated to start Tuesday at Triple-A as he comes back from an ankle injury.

8. Bill Simmons’ depressing take on “Bull Durham”

Jul 28, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT

Bull Durham

Sportswriting’s biggest star around reduces one of the most interesting and well-drawn female characters in all of sports movies to “a tramp.”

9. Rangers drawing lots of trade interest in Alex Rios

Jul 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

Alex Rios AP AP

With an MLB-worst 41-64 record the Rangers are obviously looking to sell at the trade deadline and right fielder Alex Rios seems likely to be moved before July 31.

10. Felix Doubront tells the Red Sox: Start me or trade me

Jul 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

World Series - Boston Red Sox v St Louis Cardinals - Game Four Getty Images

First baseman/outfielder Mike Carp has asked the Red Sox for a trade and apparently left-hander Felix Doubront wouldn’t mind leaving Boston either.

11. Must-click link: do fans care more about the hot stove than the game action?

Jul 28, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Click Here large

Kids once grew up wanting to be star athletes. Now they grow up wanting to be GMs.

12. Rich Gossage would purge all of the modern home run records if he were in charge

Jul 28, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT

Gossage

And his reaction to PED users in the Hall of Fame? “Are you f***ing kidding me?”

13. Sleeping Yankees fan explains his lawsuit. And still isn’t convincing

Jul 28, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 7.23.03 AM

Local man goes on national TV to complain that he was humiliated by being put on national TV.

14. Word Crimes: The Hall of Fame — arguably — made a grammatical error on Greg Maddux’s plaque

Jul 28, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 7.11.36 AM

It’s “less” vs. “fewer” time in Grammatical Thunderdome.

15. And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Jul 28, 2014, 6:32 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 6.29.38 AM AP

The Dodgers sweep their rivals in San Francisco, the Rays complain about Big Papi and I complain about Southwest Airlines messing with my kids’ vacation.

16. Ian Kennedy to miss Monday’s start with an oblique injury

Jul 27, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT

Ian Kennedy Getty Images

Ian Kennedy’s left oblique is bothering him, so he’ll miss tomorrow’s start against the Braves.

17. Padres expected to activate Jedd Gyorko, DL Carlos Quentin on Monday

Jul 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT

Jedd Gyorko Jedd Gyorko

The Padres are expected to get Jedd Gyorko back from the DL, but lose Carlos Quentin on Monday.

18. Josh Harrison escaped yet another run-down

Jul 27, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT

Josh Harrison Josh Harrison

Josh Harrison kept the PIrates in the mix in Sunday’s game against the Rockies by using his legs.

19. Carlos Santana is unfathomably hot right now

Jul 27, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Carlos Santana Carlos Santana

Pitchers do not want to be facing Carlos Santana right now.

Three legends off to Cooperstown