Jan 9, 2013, 3:20 PM EST
Gomez has a 5.18 ERA in 207 career innings spent mostly as a starter, including poor control and one of MLB’s worst strikeout rates during that time at 4.9 per nine innings. He does induce a good number of ground balls and is still just 25 years old with a minimum salary, so Gomez could settle in as a decent back-of-the-rotation starter in Pittsburgh.
Latimore was the Pirates’ fourth-round pick in 2007, but repeated Double-A last season at age 23 with sub par numbers offensively and has mostly played left field in addition to some time in center field. He’s a non-prospect at this point, so the Indians basically just dumped Gomez and the Pirates added some cheap depth.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)