Jan 9, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Gomez has a 5.18 ERA in 207 career innings spent mostly as a starter, including poor control and one of MLB’s worst strikeout rates during that time at 4.9 per nine innings. He does induce a good number of ground balls and is still just 25 years old with a minimum salary, so Gomez could settle in as a decent back-of-the-rotation starter in Pittsburgh.
Latimore was the Pirates’ fourth-round pick in 2007, but repeated Double-A last season at age 23 with sub par numbers offensively and has mostly played left field in addition to some time in center field. He’s a non-prospect at this point, so the Indians basically just dumped Gomez and the Pirates added some cheap depth.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 80
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)