Poll: What do you think of the Hall of Fame results?

Jan 9, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT

No one made it, as you know. And there are a lot of reasons for that.  But what do you think of this year’s Hall of Fame results?

What do you think of the Hall of Fame voting results?

1. giant4life - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

The HOF is not heaven…IT IS A PLACE WE HONOR OUR BEST…..the hall is already made up of cheaters, dopers, racists, gamblers, misogynists, liars, alcoholics, thieves, murderers,……and have committed adultery ( for which you are put to death in some places with higher values than our own country) …..in fact the hall is more like the American Society that worship this great game…Shame on the hypocrites!…And once again refusing to acknowledge the role of MLB…and blaming players,

• okwhitefalcon - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM

The electorate has become more of a story than those considered for election.

It’s become as bad as the annual awards (cough, cough) debates.

All white noise for me at this point – ad nauseum.

• basedrum777 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

its ridiculous to say the players bear no responsibility for taking the drugs that they did. They chose to soil their records. Now they’re feeling those consequences. Remove your team from the equation and you’d see that to cheat the game should never be rewarded with the honor of the hall of fame. Past indiscretions should not pardon them from their actions.

2. Rich Stowe - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I really want to know who voted for Aaron Sele and why…

really shocked Kenny Lofton got the Lou Whitaker treatement and is off the ballot completely (was it simply a case of an overstocked ballot?)…

• paperlions - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

That and ineptitude. There may have been a number of ballots that were full, but there are guys getting a lot more love than Lofton that were not the player he was (Morris, L. Smith, Murphy, Mattingly). Lofton’s problem is likely a combination of playing for a lot of teams and not hitting for enough power to wow voters. Simply getting on base all the time and playing fantastic CF while being a historically awesome base runner is apparently easy to ignore.

3. skids003 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

What do I think of the results? Total BS.

4. skids003 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The BBWAA has proven now beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are incapable of handling this responsibility. MLB needs to look into some alternative. Not one person from this class? There is no way, absolutely no way someone is not Hall worthy from this class.

The sad thing is next year some writers will leave off Glavine and Maddux just because they can’t vote for a “first timer.”

5. iranuke - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Just remember, it won’t get any easier next year. You will have the holdovers from this year and add another years worth of great pitchers, so the ballot will be even more stacked.

Also a thought about steroids : If you are not cheating, you aren’t trying hard enough. As a fan, I want to see the ‘Oh, Wow’ moments. I want to see the great defensive plays or the single turned into a double or the majestic home run.

• cur68 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Won’t have Lofton. He’s off the ballot.

• myopinionisrighterthanyours - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Funny, I thought the late great Eddie Guerrero was dead. Yup, nothing better than seeing 15 balls a night being launched out and pitchers ERA’s that would make you think they were all pitching in Denver. How can you not appreciate good D? Gloves should be just as important to the game as bats.

6. washburn1000 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Piazza got screwed

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I’m still pissed about Eddie Gaedel falling short of admission. Look at his numbers: career 1.000 OBP!!!

• paperlions - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Yeah, he’s easy to over look.

• hockeyflow33 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

He’ll always have his exhibit there though

7. nukeladouche - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I’m OK with it, but then I’m from the camp that thinks a First Balloter ought to be a surefire, world-class HOFer who gives you no reason to hesitate in voting for him – including potential “character” issues.

If I had a vote, I probably would’ve voted for Raines, McGriff & Bagwell this year. I’m on the fence with Biggio, but would certainly vote for him next year (resulting in him getting in on his second try, like Roberto Alomar, who I think didn’t get elected on the first ballot because of that incident with the umpire. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have Biggio and Alomar end with the same result – i.e., second-ballot enshrinement). That fictionally Piazza-penned entry makes good points, but suspicions there – admittedly based on flimsy evidence only – make him a tougher call than I’d like.

Next year, however, I would vote for Raines, McGriff & Bagwell again, plus Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, & Piazza. Maybe Palmeiro too. I think ultimately the HOF has to allow in the best-of-the-best from the so-called Steroid Era, even those whose use is fairly well-documented. But, like Ken Burns, I don’t mind if the fairly well-documented users (like Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro) have to wait a bit.

• 18thstreet - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The first ballot concept is not a rule, and it’s not part of the guidance to voters. There’s no special room for those who got in on their first ballot. And if there were, Joe DiMaggio would not be in it.

• nukeladouche - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM

If I had been voting way back when, I would’ve voted for Joltin’ Joe on his first ballot of eligibility. . . . And ditto for at least some of the guys listed (by church…) below (e.g. Hornsby, Berra, etc.).

I know the First Ballot thing is not part of any sort of guidance, but let’s face it, we all know who got the most votes during their first year of eligibility (Tom Seaver at like 98.8%) and track that sort of thing (I don’t know how guys like Mays & Aaron weren’t unanimous, BTW). I know there’s no separate room or anything like that in the Hall (I was there this past summer) for First Balloters, and yet. . . they can be tracked and ostensibly represent the “best of the best.” So keep out the “known” PED users (and I understand that even that direction has its problems) from getting that “First Ballot” designation and then vote them in next year. Call it the “Character Clause Compromise” – a relatively minor roadbump on the way to the HOF following a(n otherwise) HOF-worthy career. . . .

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Roger Hornsby, Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra, Arky Vaughn, and Lefty Grove are all HoF’ers, but any idea what else they share in common regarding the HoF?

8. Tick - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I think the results are a joke and there are a few writers that should be stripped of their privileges. If I want to try and have a good attitude and be optimistic, I’ll say that at least Raines, Biggio, Piazza and Bagwell should eventually get in, judging by their vote totals.

• 18thstreet - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Anyone who votes for Aaron Sele shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

I’m not talking about the Hall of Fame here. I’m talking about amending the U.S. Constitution.

• jarathen - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Hometown scribes who have room on the ballot have been known to throw a vote away just to give a symbolic thumbs-up to a player they may have liked.

It’s not a big deal. A big deal is a year in which SO MANY good players are up and no one goes into the Hall except people dead for 80 years.

• 18thstreet - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Okay fine. Whoever it is should reveal himself and explain himself. And if he shows a pattern of wasting votes, he should have it taken away.

• jarathen - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:19 AM

What determines “wasting votes”? Who can decide if a vote is wasted? The voter could ALWAYS say they had nine or less “real” candidates and one pet vote attaboy.

As infuriating as this vote is, most efforts at reform run into serious problems once you discuss them.

• 18thstreet - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Being the only person who votes for a candidate is a wasted vote. I’m comfortable making that judgment, and making it harder to do so.

9. DJ MC - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I think that if anyone ever wanted to attend a Hall of Fame induction but thought that it would be too crowded and difficult to make plans, this is your year to go. Other than the family members of the Frick and Spink winners, the three Veteran’s selections that died 70-plus years ago, and the handful of 1940s selections finally getting their induction they couldn’t at the time, there will be, like, five people in attendance.

• rvnc - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM

That might be the only way anyone gets into the Hall from now on. Wait until seventy years after you die for the veterans committee to vote you in. That means Bonds and Clemens should get in around 2090….

10. bh0673 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM

What irks me most is all of us, the fans, the sports writers, the team owners, and MLB knew the players were doing more then just lifting weights and working out and still loved the heroics as well as the attendance. Anyone who says different is either naive or a liar and that includes Bud Selig. Lenny Dykstra was the epitome of something was up between his Mets years and Phillies years. Yet now all of a sudden we all want to put blinders on and act surprised, oh my they were on performance enhancing drugs. Yes it was cheating but let’s not also be no blind to the fact cheating was not limited to the steroid era. The holier thou attitude of the sports writers to me is a joke.

11. joshcarey - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Apparently my stance of “admitted cheaters like Clemens/Bonds out (at least for now), guys with no proof of wrongdoing (Biggio, Piazza) certainly in, and did you know Jack Morris’ ERA+ is only five points better than Aaron Sele’s?” is unique enough to not be characterized in the poll even a little bit (despite seeming perfectly logical to me). Also, it’s absurd to talk about putting Clemens/Bonds in and not putting Pete Rose in. Two of them cheated on the field, one of them didn’t. And yet the outrage is for the former group?

• bh0673 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I have to agree about Rose as much as I hated him as a player in his time his numbers are still his numbers and deserving of the hall

• largebill - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Rose knew the prohibition on betting on baseball. He saw the sign in the clubhouse everyday. He saw Mantle and Mays suspended from the game for merely being greeters at casino’s.
        He rightfully was thrown from the game for good. A death penalty only has a deterrent effect if it applied ruthlessly.
        For those saying but, but, but steroids are worse, 1. You’re wrong. & 2. Rose had a steroid dealer living with him and he played effectively until his mid 40’s. More evidence than is being used to cast Bagwell or Piazza as PED users.

12. bh0673 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Then again I think the Hall did a disservice in 2006 to Buck O’Neill who more then anyone was the ambassador for the Negro Leagues and made sure the history lived on when he could have been honored in a manor he deserved so even the Veterans Committee has failed to do what is right.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I’ve mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. I’m already trying to come up with different things to do in KC in a few years so I can take my son to the Negro League Museum. If this voting is any indication, I have zero reason to bring him to the MLB HoF. I’ll want to talk about history, both right and wrong, and the players I saw play. If that’s not possible, no reason for me to go.

• cur68 - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

The NLM is fantastic. I got a replica Satchel Paige Jersey while there:

Get your son one of those.

Also, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations did a piece from KC. You can eat REALLY well there.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I’d love to get a Josh Gibson jersey, and I already have my KC Monarchs hat from joining the NLBM. I’ll have to check out that Bourdain episode, I have a bunch of tweets marked from all the writers visits to KC last year during the ASG.

• raysfan1 - Jan 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM

KC is great. If you do go, make sure you include the WW I museum and the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum. Hallmark’s Museum is pretty cool too. & Cur is right about the food too.

13. myopinionisrighterthanyours - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM

My problem is not that nobody got in, but the shear number of blank ballots submitted that helped assure nobody got in. If everybody submits a true ballot and nobody gets in is one thing.

• umrguy42 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Actually, the BBWAA claims that only 5 blank ballots were submitted. With 569 ballots being cast, that’s < 1%, which wouldn't even have helped some of the borderline guys stay on the ballot for next year.

• myopinionisrighterthanyours - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Get what you are saying, but that’s still 5 too many.

• raysfan1 - Jan 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I have a big problem with nobody getting in on a ballot this loaded. Fine, don’t vote for Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGwire, or Palmeiro if you really believe steroid use is blasphemy. However, then turning around and not voting in Biggio, Piazza, Trammell, L.Walker, Martinez, Schilling, Bagwell and Raines is flat wrong.

Also, nobody getting in means much less money for the museum side of the Hall to preserve the 160 year history of the game, its artifacts and archives, because there will be no big influx of visitors to celebrate the newest inductees. As someone who cares about historic preservation, that really sucks. The HoF lost over 2 million dollars last year, and it will now be worse this year.

It certainly won’t help all the other businesses in the Cooperstown area that depend on tourism dollars either.

14. birdman6824 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I let them know of my displeasure. I’m sure that will shake them up.

info@bbwaa.com

• bh0673 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

birdman I wish they cared but they don’t their ego’s won’t let them.

15. sisisisisisisi - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM

2 much crying already!

Do you really expect Bond & Clemens to get in this year?

They will eventually, it’s a guarantee whether you like it or not.

16. mianfr - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Also, can we stop for a second to talk about how Kenny Lofton is going to fall off the ballot after one year?

17. umrguy42 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

In the immortal words of Bob Ryan, “It STINKS!”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

In the immortal words of Bob RyanJay Sherman, “It STINKS!”

ftfy

18. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Yeah, anytime I think about this and I think about Rose not being in, all I can think is that the HOF is NOT where the very best players are.

Also, if they can produce a time machine and go back in time to a point in time in every season that a player played and drug test them to gaurantee they were doping, then MAYBE they’d have a solid litmus for blocking certain players, otherwise, they should just look at the #s and vote based on that. Since when is a bunch of moronic baseball writers the moral authority for anything anyway??

19. kirkvanhouten - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Hey, remember the good ol’ days when we really only got to be angry about Ron Santo and Lou Whitaker not being in the Hall?

Man, I would love to just have that problem again.

20. vallewho - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Horseshit

21. MattTurnerNY - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM

It’s a very awkward situation. No one wants to vote for the guy who broke the record of their favorite player when they grew up. While the Hall of Fame already has a bunch of “cheaters” and players with very poor character, the current voters must have felt uncomfortable voting for certain players. While Bonds and Clemens, amongst others did not get elected for obvious reasons, why not clean players like Biggio and Schilling, or Bagwell or Piazza for that matter – who were never definitively linked to PEDs? While certain people believe it takes a great player to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer, when it’s all said and done, when they’re in, they’re in, and that’s what people remember,

22. kalinedrive - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I would have voted for the best players, the ones who deserve to be in the HOF because they were the best of their time. I don’t care even a little bit about steroids. I wouldn’t care if they were made legal and everybody who wanted to could use them. I watch baseball to see baseball being played. I laugh when shortstops go out to short left field for a popup and then let it fall on the ground. I cheer when someone I like does something great. I don’t care what they ate for breakfast or who they’re sleeping with or what their teammates think of them. If they hit as well as Barry Bonds did, they should be in the HOF. If they pitch as effectively as Roger Clemens did, they should be in the HOF. And if they get more hits than anyone else ever has, they should be in the HOF.

23. fredcorner - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM

If the BBWAA election rules say “voting shall be based upon the player’s record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.”

How does TWO-TIME NL MVP DALE MURPHY NOT MAKE IT INTO THE HALL OF FAME?

While I applaud the voters for not inducting the drug abusers – why don’t we recognize those great players that performed without any enhancers and truly were MVP and Hall of Fame performers.

Very sad that Dale Murphy will never be in the Hall.

24. rvnc - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM

So 3000 hits doesn’t get you in the Hall of Fame? I’m still undecided about Bonds, Clemens et al, but it’s bull**** to keep Biggio out. It’s the equivalent of giving the whole class detention because one kid throws an eraser at the teacher. Once again journalists show their innate desire to be bigger than the game.

25. simon94022 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Two thirds of these has-been writers believe Jack Morris was a Hall of Fame caliber pitcher.

Two thirds of them also think Bonds and Clemens are not Hall-worthy.

At least 6 voters thought Clemens should be in the Hall, but not Bonds.

More than a third believe that Bagwell, Biggio, Piazza, Raines and Schilling are not worthy.

This is basically the same electorate that gave Jim Rice over 3/4 of the vote a few years ago.

Anybody think the Hall and BBWAA have even a tattered shard of credibility left?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3360)