Jan 10, 2013, 7:04 AM EDT
Just woke up from a crazy dream. I was in Cooperstown this summer and the only person giving a Hall of Fame acceptance speech was a baseball writer. I know, that seems insane because the Hall of Fame is about the players, not the writers, right? Anyway, as the guy finished men with chisels added the word “Writing” in between “National Baseball” and “Hall of Fame” on the front of the building.
Glad I woke up before they finished!
Six-figure bids are expected when an auction house sells a rare 148-year-old baseball card that was discovered at a yard sale in rural Maine, the auction house manager said Wednesday … It’s not the same as a modern baseball card, which became commonplace beginning in the 1880s. Instead, it’s an original photograph from 1865 of the Brooklyn Atlantics amateur baseball club mounted on a card. The card shows nine players gathered around their manager.
Only two of these exist in the world, the other being at the Library of Congress. The coolest part: they were apparently made to give to fans of the opposing team as a means of taunting them.
And now, 150 years later, we get bent out of shape when a relief pitcher does a little dance.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)