Jan 10, 2013, 7:04 AM EDT
Just woke up from a crazy dream. I was in Cooperstown this summer and the only person giving a Hall of Fame acceptance speech was a baseball writer. I know, that seems insane because the Hall of Fame is about the players, not the writers, right? Anyway, as the guy finished men with chisels added the word “Writing” in between “National Baseball” and “Hall of Fame” on the front of the building.
Glad I woke up before they finished!
Six-figure bids are expected when an auction house sells a rare 148-year-old baseball card that was discovered at a yard sale in rural Maine, the auction house manager said Wednesday … It’s not the same as a modern baseball card, which became commonplace beginning in the 1880s. Instead, it’s an original photograph from 1865 of the Brooklyn Atlantics amateur baseball club mounted on a card. The card shows nine players gathered around their manager.
Only two of these exist in the world, the other being at the Library of Congress. The coolest part: they were apparently made to give to fans of the opposing team as a means of taunting them.
And now, 150 years later, we get bent out of shape when a relief pitcher does a little dance.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)