Jan 10, 2013, 7:04 AM EDT
Just woke up from a crazy dream. I was in Cooperstown this summer and the only person giving a Hall of Fame acceptance speech was a baseball writer. I know, that seems insane because the Hall of Fame is about the players, not the writers, right? Anyway, as the guy finished men with chisels added the word “Writing” in between “National Baseball” and “Hall of Fame” on the front of the building.
Glad I woke up before they finished!
Six-figure bids are expected when an auction house sells a rare 148-year-old baseball card that was discovered at a yard sale in rural Maine, the auction house manager said Wednesday … It’s not the same as a modern baseball card, which became commonplace beginning in the 1880s. Instead, it’s an original photograph from 1865 of the Brooklyn Atlantics amateur baseball club mounted on a card. The card shows nine players gathered around their manager.
Only two of these exist in the world, the other being at the Library of Congress. The coolest part: they were apparently made to give to fans of the opposing team as a means of taunting them.
And now, 150 years later, we get bent out of shape when a relief pitcher does a little dance.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)