Jan 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
According to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com, the Cubs have signed utility man Brent Lillibridge and outfielder Darnell McDonald to minor league contracts. Both will get invites to major league spring training.
Lillibridge, 29, batted just .199/.250/.274 with three homers, 13 stolen bases and a .524 OPS in 209 plate appearances last season between the White Sox, Red Sox and Indians. However, he’s capable of playing everywhere and socked 13 homers as recently as 2011.
McDonald batted .214 (18-for-84) with two homers in 38 games with the Red Sox last season and went 0-for-4 in a brief stint with the Yankees. The 34-year-old owns a .778 OPS over 431 plate appearances against left-handed pitching in the majors and clearly still has a fan in Cubs president Theo Epstein.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)