Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
And not just compared to the silly people who surrounded him! Here are the Hit King’s comments when asked by Gretta Van Susteren his thoughts about still not being in the Hall of Fame:
ROSE: Well, I’m on the ineligible list. I’ve never been on list to receive any votes. And I must tell you that I’m not in the Hall of Fame because I’m the one that made the mistake and screwed up, and I can’t sit here on your show or Sean’s show or Bill’s show and complain about anybody because I’m the one that messed up.
And in my situation, we just live everyday life and have fun and try to get a second chance sometime. I won’t need a third. If I ever get a second chance, we’ll see what happens as far as the Hall of Fame is concerned.
I’ve lost track over the years, but of all of Rose’s different stances (Innocent/defiant, innocent/contrite, guilty/defiant, guilty/contrite) I like this one the best.
And just for the record, let me reiterate my Pete Rose stance: I think he should still be banned from holding baseball operations positions, from scout, to couch to manager to front office, because I think his judgment and lack of appreciation for baseball’s rules represent a risk to the game. But I do think he should be allowed to work in baseball in an ambassador/fan relations/philanthropic/whatever kind of role, and I do think he should be in the Hall of Fame as a player because he was a hell of a player.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 5
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 54
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 23
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 24
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (90)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)