Pete Rose sounded almost reasonable on Fox News yesterday

Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM EST

pete rose getty Getty Images

And not just compared to the silly people who surrounded him!  Here are the Hit King’s comments when asked by Gretta Van Susteren his thoughts about still not being in the Hall of Fame:

ROSE: Well, I’m on the ineligible list. I’ve never been on list to receive any votes. And I must tell you that I’m not in the Hall of Fame because I’m the one that made the mistake and screwed up, and I can’t sit here on your show or Sean’s show or Bill’s show and complain about anybody because I’m the one that messed up.

And in my situation, we just live everyday life and have fun and try to get a second chance sometime. I won’t need a third. If I ever get a second chance, we’ll see what happens as far as the Hall of Fame is concerned.

I’ve lost track over the years, but of all of Rose’s different stances (Innocent/defiant, innocent/contrite, guilty/defiant, guilty/contrite) I like this one the best.

And just for the record, let me reiterate my Pete Rose stance: I think he should still be banned from holding baseball operations positions, from scout, to couch to manager to front office, because I think his judgment and lack of appreciation for baseball’s rules represent a risk to the game. But I do think he should be allowed to work in baseball in an ambassador/fan relations/philanthropic/whatever kind of role,  and I do think he should be in the Hall of Fame as a player because he was a hell of a player.

Latest Posts
  1. The Cardinals are boring

Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Lackey yawn AP

Just ask them. They’ll tell you so.

2. Orioles negotiating buyout with Suk-min Yoon one year into $5.75 million deal

Mar 5, 2015, 1:13 PM EST

suk-min yoon korea getty Getty Images

He would then return to Korea, where the 28-year-old was a former MVP.

3. The Josh Hamilton decision could come as early as next week

Mar 5, 2015, 11:39 AM EST

Josh Hamilton Josh Hamilton

The union and the league are butting heads, but the deadlock should soon be broken.

4. It’s like the New York Post isn’t even trying anymore

Mar 5, 2015, 7:53 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP

I guess it’s spring training for tabloid headline writers too.

5. Angels, Huston Street expected to exchange offers soon

Mar 4, 2015, 11:59 PM EST

huston street getty Getty Images

MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez has an update on the ongoing extension negotiations between Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and veteran closer Huston Street …

6. Ji-Man Choi suffered a fractured right fibula

Mar 4, 2015, 11:13 PM EST

ji-man choi getty Getty Images

The Mariners won their Cactus League opener Wednesday against the Padres, but it was not a totally problem-free afternoon in Peoria, Arizona.

7. Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene

Mar 4, 2015, 10:26 PM EST

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

Suspending Hamilton for a year would serve no purpose punitive systems are designed to serve. And would most likely not serve Josh Hamilton at all.

8. Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play

Mar 4, 2015, 9:52 PM EST

josh hamilton angels getty Getty Images

A four-person panel appointed by Major League Baseball to decide how Josh Hamilton should be handled following his recent relapse that involved at least cocaine has reportedly reached a stalemate.

9. Rays sign reliever Jim Miller to minor league deal

Mar 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EST

jim miller getty Getty Images

The deal includes an invitation to the major league side of spring training, though Miller seems doubtful to win a spot on Tampa Bay’s Opening Day roster.

10. Tim Collins leaves spring debut with tight left elbow

Mar 4, 2015, 8:21 PM EST

tim collins getty Getty Images

Royals reliever Tim Collins missed time last season with a flexor strain in his left elbow and again had an issue with the joint Wednesday in his 2015 Cactus League debut …

11. Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut

Mar 4, 2015, 7:17 PM EST

joc pederson getty Getty Images

It was an enjoyable first day of Cactus League competition for Dodgers prospect Joc Pederson.

12. Masahiro Tanaka expected to make his 2015 Grapefruit League debut on March 12

Mar 4, 2015, 6:22 PM EST

tanaka getty Getty Images

He successfully rehabbed a torn UCL in his right elbow last season and the Yankees’ fingers remain crossed that the 26-year-old from Japan will be able to avoid Tommy John elbow reconstructive surgery.

13. Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments

Mar 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EST

Billy Bean

While it’s clear that the two do not see eye to eye, Billy Bean is choosing to look on the bright side of yesterday’s comments from Daniel Murphy.

1. M. Upton (2561)