Jan 10, 2013, 8:29 PM EST
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Taijuan Walker was in the deal, as well as Nick Franklin and two others.
8:29 PM: Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that the D-Backs would have received three or four players in return for Upton, including relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor, prospect infielder Nick Franklin and likely one of Taijuan Walker, James Paxton or Danny Hultzen. Alas, no deal.
8:07 PM: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners, Blue Jays, Red Sox and Cubs are on Upton’s no-trade list. It’s possible he included some of those teams for leverage, not because he wouldn’t go there. But Seattle doesn’t look like a fit.
7:12 PM: Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic confirms Rosenthal’s report and adds that the proposed package from the Mariners was “substantial.”
The Mariners are one of four teams on Upton’s no-trade list. Players often waive their no-trade rights if they are compensated in some way, but it appears that he just doesn’t want to play in Seattle. Of course, coming back to Arizona would now be pretty awkward, too. The Rangers and Braves are still interested, so chances are the D-Backs will continue to shop him.
Rosenthal hears that the Diamondbacks would have received a package of young players in return for Upton, but their identities aren’t known. As our own Matthew Pouliot speculates, it’s likely that names like Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen, Nick Franklin, Carter Capps and Stephen Pryor could have been discussed.
Dec 17, 2014, 9:24 PM EST
David Hernandez looked like a non-tender candidate after undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in April, but the Diamondbacks decided to keep him around …
Dec 17, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Marlins, Braves, and Giants have all expressed interest in free agent starter Jake Peavy …
Dec 17, 2014, 7:02 PM EST
From CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman comes word that the Royals have agreed to terms on a two-year, $20 million free agent contract with Edinson Volquez.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:16 PM EST
A three-team, 11-player trade has been agreed upon between the Rays, Padres, and Nationals. It centers around outfielder Wil Myers.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
He is expected to be able to resume baseball activities before Spring Training begins.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
One-time Red Sox prospect trying to snag a bench gig.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
If you don’t love Pedro Martinez there is no helping you.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:51 PM EST
Sticking together after seven seasons.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
The pitcher denies there were issues. But now he’s off to Boston, so I guess it doesn’t matter.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
Wil Myers’ replacement in Tampa Bay?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:53 PM EST
And if it blows up, it could impact the Jimmy Rollins trade too.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Sox are getting themselves a handy reliever.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Seattle is looking for right-handed bats.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:53 AM EST
Right team, even if he picked the wrong position.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
They’re getting lots of calls on him, though.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
It appears as though it’ll only be a two-team trade, with Myers heading to San Diego.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
Which could have some baseball implications
Dec 17, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
But he could start the home opener
No, it’s not crazy to pay a free agent for what you think he’ll do in the future. That’s the bleedin’ point.
Dec 17, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A columnist takes a strange approach to criticizing the Brandon McCarthy contract. And his reasoning for doing so is pretty clear.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:40 AM EST
Seems like a bad idea. And that’s even if the field would even fit. Which it may not.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)