The Blue Jays win the Commissioner’s Award for Philanthropic Excellence

Jan 10, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT

Blue Jays logo

Press release:

Major League Baseball and Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig have named the Toronto Blue Jays as the 2012 recipient of the Commissioner’s Award for Philanthropic Excellence, which was created in 2010 to annually recognize an extraordinary charitable and philanthropic effort of an MLB Club.

This is for real charity, mind you. Not the charity they showed Jeff Loria in relieving him of all of his financial obligations this winter.

In other news, I had no idea they did charity in Canada. My conservative friends tell me that when you try to create a socialist utopia like our friends up north it saps all philanthropic will.

Hurm.

1. slappymcknucklepunch - Jan 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM

As I saw the headline, I thought of the douchebag Loria,and it wrote itself.Fucking Craig fucked up the gameplan.Scott Borass sucks.

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I doubt if Scrooge McLoria and philanthropy are going to be mentioned together again in the near term. I prolly orter savour this moment.

2. cur68 - Jan 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM

The Beavz giveth and, in a just and rational world, the Beavz will taketh away (the AL Beast title). Don’t let our socialist liberal agenda fool ya. We perfectly capable of philanthropy, just so long as it doesn’t mean giving up on beer and chicken wings.

3. charlutes - Jan 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

minus the weather, Canada is a utopia.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I thought so too, but judging from what Cur said, it’s really Buffalo Wild Wings.

• paperlions - Jan 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM

….or hooters

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

bahahahaha, paper

• paperlions - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I thought you would like that.

• number42is1 - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Or the 2011 red sox clubhouse?

Sorry…..

• cur68 - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM

B00bz. Its b00bz. The cold really brings out the best in them.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM

/grabs her Wonder Woman comic and stomps out

• cur68 - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Hey! Leave the comic!

• proudlycanadian - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Just remember, our national animal is the Beaver and Canada Geese are very very generous.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Kiss my grits!

4. chill1184 - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Congrats to the Jays

5. proudlycanadian - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

The Jay’s Care Foundation is quite active. Some players directly contribute a portion of their salary to the Foundation. Vernon Wells was very generous in that regard. The Foundation also conducts on air auctions of Jay’s memorabilia at least once a season. The Lady Jays (wives and girl friends) also have fundraisers.

• paint771 - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I was going to make a joke about Vernon Wells’ salary being the charity, but meh, I’ll give him that one. Nice guy. Jays do good works.

• cur68 - Jan 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Yeah, Wells might not be able to hit better than my ole granny but he’s a solid nice guy and a decent person when it comes to charity work.

6. tc4306 - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM

We’re a “socialist state” because we have medicare? That’s pretty forward thinking. My conservative friends in California tell me they pay the same taxes we do. Difference is we get something for it. Well, you know, other than bombs and planes and things to blow up in Iraq. I know this is a baseball blog but you opened the door for this on what I hope was a poor attempt at homour. Unfortunately, it is what far too many Americans think about a country that is far more forward thinking than their own.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:04 PM

FYI, in red states, we don’t pay those kinds of taxes and we get nothing for it. :(

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Frankly, I find it hilarious that you hear the most ideological mindfarting about “entitlements” out of a country with the most exaggerated sense of entitlement on the planet.

Our friends in Canada and elsewhere could really help relieve us of eating our own guts out with spite, bile and selfishness if they would just stop taking us so seriously.

• cur68 - Jan 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Hey! You guys eat guts? Man. That’s offal.

7. panickyvaudevillian - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM

You have conservative friends? I’d have figured they’d have gotten exhausted by your sanctimony by now.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM

-1 for the crappy insult
      +1 for the use of “sanctimony”
      ———-
      0 WAR

Looks like you’re replacement level.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Well at least the jays won something for the first time in 20 years, good thing too cause its the only award they will be winning in the next 20 years…

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey