Jan 11, 2013, 1:52 PM EST
Agent Scott Boras, talking to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com about representing the three free agents with draft pick compensation attached who remained unsigned in Kyle Lohse, Rafael Soriano, and Michael Bourn:
People call me all the time and say, “Man, your players aren’t signed yet.” Well, it doesn’t really matter what time dinner is when you’re the steak.
That’s a pretty great quote–I imagine a Gordon Gekko-like character saying it from behind a huge desk in a movie–but the notion that Kyle Lohse is “the steak” at this point is obviously laughable.
I won’t be surprised if Bourn finds a big multi-year deal, but Soriano finding a decent landing spot is looking very iffy and Lohse himself has talked publicly about his disappointment in how things have gone this offseason, with reports last week suggesting that he’s yet to even receive a single offer.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to issue with physical 6
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4