Jan 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
The Blue Jays announced this evening that they have signed catcher Henry Blanco to a non-guaranteed, one-year, $750,000 contract. Tommy Hottovy was designated for assignment in a corresponding roster move, which means Blanco will occupy a spot on the 40-man roster for the time being.
Blanco, 41, batted just .188/.224/.281 with one home run, seven RBI and a .581 OPS in 21 games with the Diamondbacks last season. He became a free agent after Arizona declined his $1.24 million option for 2013.
The Blue Jays already have J.P. Arencibia and Josh Thole as the projected catchers for the Opening Day roster, so Blanco will provide some insurance. It also helps that he caught knuckleballer R.A. Dickey when they were teammates with the Mets in 2010.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)