Jan 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
The Blue Jays announced this evening that they have signed catcher Henry Blanco to a non-guaranteed, one-year, $750,000 contract. Tommy Hottovy was designated for assignment in a corresponding roster move, which means Blanco will occupy a spot on the 40-man roster for the time being.
Blanco, 41, batted just .188/.224/.281 with one home run, seven RBI and a .581 OPS in 21 games with the Diamondbacks last season. He became a free agent after Arizona declined his $1.24 million option for 2013.
The Blue Jays already have J.P. Arencibia and Josh Thole as the projected catchers for the Opening Day roster, so Blanco will provide some insurance. It also helps that he caught knuckleballer R.A. Dickey when they were teammates with the Mets in 2010.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 68
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)