Jan 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Last week we learned that Kyle Lohse hasn’t received any offers as a free agent because of the draft pick compensation attached to signing him and hasn’t talked to the Cardinals since the season ended.
And today Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak made it even clearer that Lohse won’t be back in St. Louis, telling KFNS-590 radio “it doesn’t make much sense for us” to re-sign the 34-year-old right-hander.
Mozeliak went on to say that he doesn’t like to completely close a door, but it’s obvious that the Cardinals have little interest in re-signing Lohse given their strong rotation depth without him. That could change if Lohse is still without any offers next month and is willing to come back on the cheap, of course.
Lohse went 30-11 with a 3.11 ERA in 399 innings during the past two seasons, but no teams seem convinced that the Scott Boras client is worth forfeiting a draft pick to sign. He previously turned down a one-year, $13.3 million deal from the Cardinals in the form of a qualifying offer.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)