Jan 11, 2013, 12:26 PM EST
The Dodgers have talked about moving the fleet-footed Gordon to the outfield but appear inclined to keep him at shortstop for now. Gordon figures to start the season at Triple-A Albuquerque.
“I hate to give up on him at short,” [manager Don] Mattingly said.
Gordon hasn’t hit well or fielded well in the majors so far, producing a measly .614 OPS and some terrible defensive numbers. His elite speed would be intriguing in center field, where range is far more important than sure-handedness, but barring a trade the Dodgers have Carl Crawford, Matt Kemp, and Andre Ethier locked in as their starting outfield for a long time.
Hanley Ramirez is ahead of Gordon on the shortstop depth chart, but his moving back to third base could be an option at some point, especially if/when Luis Cruz comes back down to earth a bit. Whatever the case, at age 25 this is a crucial season for Gordon’s career.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)