Milton Bradley facing up to 13 years in prison from spousal abuse charges

Jan 11, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT

bradley argues getty Getty Images

Milton Bradley is done being a major league baseball player, but sadly he’s not done making headlines for (allegedly) doing terrible things.

Via TMZ.com:

The City Attorney’s Office has filed charges against Bradley stemming from 5 different incidents. The charges break down like this: 4 counts of spousal battery, 4 counts of criminal threats, 2 counts of assault with a deadly weapon, 2 counts of vandalism and 1 count of dissuading a witness from making a report.

As TMZ first reported, Milton’s wife Monique filed a domestic violence report with the LAPD back in November 2012 … claiming he tried to choke her, with 2 hands, when she asked him to stop smoking marijuana in front of their kids.  Bradley was arrested in August 2011 for allegedly attacking Monique with a bat, and in March 2012 he allegedly threatened her with a knife and said, “You’ll be dead bitch before you divorce me.”

He faces up to 13 years in prison.

1. braddavery - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Didn’t see this coming, He’s always been such a great guy.

• kevinleaptrot - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Man, talk about Anger Management issues. Him and Jose Guillen are the two worst.

And not to blame the victim, but why did she stay with him after the 1st incident in August ’11 with the bat? If I’d tried that shit, my wife would be wearing my testicles as earrings and I’m pretty sure I’d be locked up still. SMH

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Perhaps because she was scared to leave him because he says things like “You’ll be dead bitch before you divorce me.”?

• indaburg - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Coincidentally, I shake my head whenever someone says “not to blame the victim” and then place some blame on the victim.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

indaburg, Yeah, it’s like “I’m not racist but here’s some really racist shit I feel compelled to say.”

• jerry0111 - Jan 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Sorry indaburg, but it is possible to tell a victim they made some bad decisions without putting blame on the victim. I think Kevin has a valid point. It’s obvious her life is in danger being with him. It’s only common sense to suggest to her, she would be better off on her own.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 11, 2013 at 7:18 PM

jerry0111, you recognize that one’s development impacts one’s decision making, right? So most abusers are able to identify, subconsciously, good victims because said targets usually are lacking something or have been victimized their entire life….that’s why those women don’t tend to make good decisions. Because of a flaw in their upbringing. They aren’t taught strength and self-confidence. So really, they don’t know any better.

It’s basically the same as blaming women for getting pregnant, and trying to ban abortion while at the same time denying schools the right to teach comprehensive sex education….sure YOU know the importance of condoms, but that doesn’t mean EVERYONE does. So to YOU “common sense” dictates having safe sex, but to someone who has no concept of safe sex….well….it’s not common sense. And in this case, common sense says it’s better to be hit with a bat than to be MURDERED.

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Yes, Brad, he’s always been an absolute prince. I think of him as the athlete named Milton “How-Far-Can-I-Fall” Bradley.

If this is all true, then he’s an idiot. An enormous ‘effin idiot. You’d think earning millions, not pummeling your wife, not doing drugs in front of your kids and, by extension, staying out of trouble with the law would be idiot-proof. Its not that hard, right? Milton be the living proof that The Fates see “idiot-proof” as a challenge and just makes sure that there are plenty of idiots around.

Milton Bradly, if you DID assault and threaten your wife, I award you NO points. Do NOT pass go. Do NOT collect another MLB paycheque. Go to jail. Go directly to jail.

• historiophiliac - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM

“paycheque”? he he

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM

“Paycheques” are SO much more classy that the other sort. Only a peon wouldn’t spell it like that.

• historiophiliac - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Hey, what’s with the hate, Canada? I just mentioned it b/c I thought it was cute. Geez.

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM

What hate? I was adjusting my monocle and smoothing my cravat as I typed that. Now I must go. I see the butler trampling the begonias in search of the wild herbs I sent him out for to make this evening’s salad. He must be taught a lesson: I shall have my Chauffeur load the shotguns and release the hounds. They’ll do as their told or they’ll not see another paycheque….

• historiophiliac - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Take yer job and shove it. — Johnny Paycheque

• paperlions - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Bradly has a chequered past.

Always love the british spelling of chequerboard.

2. dowhatifeellike - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

All this over a board game…

• cebig - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Everyone knows you go backwards 4 in Sorry

• Chris K - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

The Free Move in Risk allows you to move units from one territory to another adjacent territory. None of this ‘supply lines’ crap where you can move it to some random territory because there is a path.

3. chill1184 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

What a douchebag but I cant say Im surprised. However what position does this place Bradley on El Bravo’s douchnozzel list?

4. stephenolszewski - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I’m stunned…

5. schlom - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Judging from the comments on the Jonathan Singleton post yesterday I would have figured there would be some sympathy for Bradley – who is she to tell him that he can’t smoke pot in front of his kids as apparently a lot of people think it’s no big deal.

• cebig - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Her telling him not to smoke pot has little to nothing to do with what’s wrong here. That’s just added fluff to make us hate him worse. He needs to be admitted to a mental institute.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 11, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Cannabis is not nearly a powerful enough MEDICINE for a freaked out dude like Bradley.

• yahmule - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM

This guy gives weed a bad name.

6. jason9696 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM

This guys needs some serious anger management classes.

• larryboodry - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Hopefully provided over a 13-year period as he rots in jail.

7. losanginsight - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Nice to hear that Milton has been doing good.

8. echech88 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

This makes him blowing out his knee complaining at first base all the more enjoyable.

Hope his wife can move on with this psycho out of the picture.

9. tiennguyen645 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Put him in jail for good

10. gibbskins9 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

This is my surprised face

11. cosanostra71 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Lovely fellow.

12. Liam - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Any word on whether or not he will collect $200 on his way to jail?

13. 13arod - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

i would have left him a long time ago if i was a women don’t know why she stayed with him that long and that is wrong to be smoking pot in front of your kids bad role model hope he roats in prision

14. jdillydawg - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

He’ll be out just in time to see the fruition of the Mariners rebuilding…

• lew24 - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM

jdillydawg…wish I could give you two thumbs up for that one! lol!

15. lew24 - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

He’s giving Monopoly a bad name!

16. lordd99 - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM

The dude is the only person to get angry smoking pot.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Yep.

• bigharold - Jan 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

So much for my theory that pot smokers aren’t violent. Or, perhaps he just that much of an asshole that even pot can’t chill him out?

• yahmule - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Yeah, the second one.

17. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM

lmao wow not at all suprised…throw the book at this moron piece of crap

18. ningenito78 - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Bye bye, motherf–ker

19. budmanjim - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM

He should NEVER get out of jail…

20. pisano - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Hard to believe, such a fine upstanding citizen,he and Carl Everett eat out of the same trough.

21. themagicfanguy - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

People are so quick to judge a situation. Does it appear he is guilty of this behavior? Yes. Do ANY of you know for sure if he is? No. Who’s to say that his wife hasn’t greatly exaggerated events in order to suit her purposes? While I doubt that’s the case, you should keep an open mind and try not to judge a man based on reputation alone.

• jerze2387 - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM

..his history of blowing up in front of tv cameras and thousands of fans, perhaps?

does his wife have a history of filing false claims?

When weighing the 2 factors, leans toward the accusationshaving credibility based on prescident

• bigharold - Jan 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

” While I doubt that’s the case, you should keep an open mind …”

In general you are correct, .. one should be given the benefit of the doubt. I’ve been married nearly 30 yeas and my wife can piss my off faster than anyone because she knows me better than anyone. But, consider the subject of this report. Bradley is a serial screwball known for his absurd over reactions to the least provocation, .. real or imagined.

He’ll get his Constitutionally mandated allotment of presumed innocent for the criminal justice system. The rest of us are going to want to see so proof before we are wiling to cut him some slack. And, that not so much our failing as his and the result of him behaving like a jackass time and again. So he really no one to blame but himself.

22. florida727 - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I was going to post something about a board game joke having to be in here somewhere, then I realized that domestic abuse is really no laughing matter. It really does amaze me that with so many people in this country struggling financially, there are people like this that God goes to for a loan, and they still can’t find a way to live in peace. If I called him an idiot, I’d be paying him a compliment. He’s beyond that.

23. thereisaparty - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I don’t take pleasure in seeing others fail. And I hate to hear of any abuse. Sad stuff all around. Hope all parties get the necessary help.

24. giantssb42champs - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM

He was framed.

25. sonoco - Jan 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM

This dude is in serious need of an a$$ kicking.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline