Piazza will deny steroid use in his upcoming book

Jan 11, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT

10 METS FAYTOK

Mike Piazza’s autobiography, “Long Shot,” is going to come out on February 12. Some people speculated that the release date, coming after the Hall of Fame announcement, was arranged so that Piazza could say scandalous things in his book, safe with the knowledge that he was, as reason would have had it, already elected to the Hall.

Well, he wasn’t elected. So now people are quite curious if Piazza says anything about steroids in the book. The answer: yes. But if you were hoping for a confession or something, sorry:

Veteran scribe Lonnie Wheeler made it sound as if Piazza will continue to deny he ever used PEDs. That cloud of suspicion might have kept Piazza out of baseball’s Hall of Fame in voting announced Wednesday … asked if Piazza continues to deny PED use in the book, Wheeler said: “Anybody who’s looking for Mike’s answer to PED questions will find it there . . . I believe he’s clean.”

Sorry folks, nothing to see here. Please move along.

1. chill1184 - Jan 11, 2013 at 8:07 AM

That wont stop the media from making stuff up though

• dcfan4life - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Theres the players who have had scandles, like Bonds and Clemens, and players who clearly got much bigger out of no where like Canseco, Brady Anderson, and Sosa. Then there is Mike Piazza. A man who was large from day 1. Has never been implicated or accused of anything. Is it possible he took steroids, sure absolutely. But with not even a jealous friend or pissed off ex girlfriend saying anything about him, then we all must assume he is clean. Thus he needs to go to the HOF.

• hammyofdoom - Jan 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

The thing that kills me with the whole “eye test” in people thinking whether or not people did steroids is that, in general, people work out so much more often and more effectively than 40 years ago that it’s incredible. Listen to any older baseball star talk about spring training in the 70s and he’ll go “Yeah, we’d relax completely over the winter, come into camp out of shape, get in shape, then play”. Now we have guys on strict work out regimens year round with nutritionists and personal trainers keeping tabs on them at all times, so honestly minus the “His hat size grew 3 sizes over the winter THERE’S NO GODDAMN HEAD MACHINE AT THE GYM BARRY!” the whole body size argument is moot to me. I mean honestly, just look at athletes in general, if you showed them to the guys from the 20s to 70s they’d probably think it was some sort of freak accident at the nuclear power plant that resulted in superhero athletes

• dickclydesdale - Jan 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

If that’s the case I can deny being 35 yrs old & living with my <3Mommy<3

2. cruuuzcontrol - Jan 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Looks like the BBWAA is going to need another two years to get some more information! Sorry Mike, you should have just made their jobs easier for them!

3. pooinyourface - Jan 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

plain and simple, its Mets biased BS if he was a Yankee he’d be in. He was never an overgrown thick-necked mongrol like sosa bonds and mcgwire. Piazza was pure muscle. And anyone shooting needles in their ass and legs wouldnt be able to squat and catch an entire career. He belongs in the hall.

• kirkvanhouten - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

“And anyone shooting needles in their ass and legs wouldn’t be able to squat and catch an entire career.”

Well Gary Bennet, Bobby Estella, Todd Hundley, Paul LoDuca, Benito Santiago, and Greg Zaughn were all named in the Mitchell Report. Ronny Paulino tested positive and Ivan Rodriguez was accused of using in “Juiced”.

Don’t get me wrong, there is zero evidence for Piazza and he should absolutely be in the Hall of Fame. But we should no by now that that we can’t spot steroid users based on things like how muscle bound they were or being able to squat.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Do you think that his connection to LoDuca might be part of the reason why he’s painted with the ‘suspicion’ brush? Just curious – I always thought that might be a factor.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Crap, I *meant* to say his connection to the Mets and, by loose association, LoDuca. My brain isn’t working this morning.

• chrisny3 - Jan 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM

professor, Piazza never played on the same team as LoDuca. So if that’s the reason some writers had, it would mean their reasoning is screwed up. By the time LoDuca made his debut, Piazza had been traded to the Marlins already. And by the time LoDuca was traded to the NY, Piazza had already left the Mets.

• chrisny3 - Jan 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

professor, Piazza never played on the same team with LoDuca. So if that’s the reason some writers had, it would mean their reasoning is screwed up. By the time LoDuca made his debut with the Dodgers, Piazza had been traded to the Marlins already. And by the time LoDuca was traded to NY, Piazza had already left the Mets.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

chrisny – I know that, and you know that, but you know there are probably a bunch of dunderheads who will say that it proves there was already an atmosphere of steroid acceptance in the NYM clubhouse.

Doubters will twist the narrative to fit their view of things, and one cannot disprove a negative. So unfortunately, Piazza will always be under a cloud of suspicion unless a buttload of former teammates come to his defense in an extremely vocal fashion.

• chrisny3 - Jan 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

professor, I didn’t realize you were merely giving an example of the type of illogical thinking surrounding some of the HOF balloting. Hopefully, next year the electorate’s thinking clears up. Unfortunately, there’s no assurance they’ll come to their senses and so a truly HOF-worthy candidate like Piazza could be denied once again.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Hey, no problem chrisny! My *illogical conclusion* font button is busted. Also I was in the middle of an early morning brain fog, the Dr. Pepper had not kicked in yet. :)

4. sabatimus - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I must be missing something. Where has Piazza’s name ever come up in reference to his actually taking steroids? Any facts or hints that there might be facts that he did? I’ve seen not a one. And that Jeff Bagwell-guilt-by-association argument (again, sans proof) can kiss my ass.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM

He had zits on his back, and he was a sturdy dude. That’s the ‘proof’. Never mind that there are millions of sturdy dudes with zits on their backs out in this world who have never shot up.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

zits on his back! Damn, my dad and uncle were obviously doing steroids in their Mid-20s then! And here I thought they were clean, ethical men.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Francisco, since you’re associated with them, by BBWAA logic you are also guilty. So sad, your plaque in the HBT Blog of Fame will never be unveiled now.

• The Rabbit - Jan 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

FC…Guilt by association and reaching conclusions without facts are great American pasttimes. “Who’s Your Daddy?” managers may need to discuss your disclosure.

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Ban him, Rabbit. Ban him and never let him back in. He steals stuff. Nicked my Right Fielder last season, so he did, the miscreant. He’ll try it again, mark my words. In fact I have a list of people I’d like you to ban from The League. A List and a Manifesto of Rules.

• The Rabbit - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Why am I not surprised that you have a list of rules, cur? :-)
        I’m just guessing but Rule #1: You get Joey Bats?

E-Mail the list of people you’d like banned from the league. Show your work leading to the conclusions. I’m sure it will be entertaining.

5. rvnc - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Piazza will hopefully get in at some point, once the writers realise that keeping out one of the greatest catchers of all time because some other dudes he played against was juicing is absurd, and you know, maybe take into consideration theres no evidence AT ALL that says Piazza was on roids or PEDS, other than ‘he was big and hit home runs’. You know, little hang ups like that…

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Clemens went before a jury of his peers and won his case, writing a book should not do mike any better

• chill1184 - Jan 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Clemens trial should’ve never have happened, it was a farce.

7. nagrommit - Jan 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

He’s going to deny PED use, but the name of the book is “Long Shot.” Hiding in plain view, I guess.

8. steeler999 - Jan 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I don’t get how people can categorically say how any of these guys didn’t use. Piazza put up #s that were comparable to the guys that were using but he was totally clean? Why is it guys like Griffy Jr and Biggio get a free pass? Griffy put up crazy HR #s for years and then broke down. Biggio played on teams with caminiti, an admitted user & Bagwell a suspected user. But biggio gets a pass because he didn’t hit 50 hrs?

• davidpom50 - Jan 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

If you assume that Hall of Fame-level performance is only possible through cheating, you should probably just stop watching baseball. You’ll never be able to truly appreciate it.

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Hey, that Mike Trout kid got really good last year. You accusing him, too? Because performance ALWAYS = PEDs in your world, right?

• steeler999 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

No, in my world I try to be rational. The point I was trying to make, badly I guess, is that there is no way any of you know who did or didn’t use, other than those who have admitted to it. Not everyone who used became massive and hit 50+ hrs. I’m not saying they’re accomplishments should be discounted. But to pick and choose who did or didn’t use is foolish.

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I see. Your clarification is much appreciated. Most reasonable people would, I think, agree with that logic.
        Cheers

• sabatimus - Jan 12, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Yes, your original point was an indictment of everyone who performed at a high level, not your clarification.

9. thebigtim2012 - Jan 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I will now admit some things in an attempt to get into the bocce world championships and eventually the hall. Hat tip to Pete rose for showing me that this is the way to go admit it and beg forgiveness. I used monkey testicle extract and mike piazza showed me the collection method most of the users of this notorious ped have been using for decades. So yes I am a user as well as mike this is what is keeping us out of our respective halls. Please forgive us for we know not what we did.

10. crackersnap - Jan 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Well, in fairness, back before the notion of PEDs = Asshat hit critical mass in our national zeitgeist, Piazza did toss out the news that he took Andro, which IS a steroid:

“Piazza has said he briefly used androstenedione early in his career, stopping when he did not see a drastic change in his muscle mass. He said he had never used steroids because ‘’I hit the ball as far in high school as I do now.’’

• davidpom50 - Jan 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Andro, at the time, was a legal, over-the-counter supplement. It wasn’t banned by the IOC (which has among the most stringent drug policies) until 1997. It was legal to buy over the counter in the U.S. until 2004.

• crackersnap - Jan 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Parsing dates of before/after legality, whether civil or within a sport, is one thing. Making the presumption that an athlete is 100% natural when, in fact, they come right out and tell you that they used the very same thing Mark McGwire was using and has been castigated for
        is something else.

I am a Piazza fan, and would have voted for him had I a ballot. But all the dialog put forth that he never admitted to using anything, or that he is bound by suspicion alone, are simply incorrect.

• chrisny3 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I don’t think the incidence of andro use is anything unusual. I would bet that lots of players used andro, but they ain’t talking about it, even though it was completely legal at the time. And here’s the difference between Piazza and McGwire’s — we now know that for McGwire, andro was merely a “supplement” to harder stuff and he was really doing anabolic steroids.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

chrisny makes a valid point – I would also argue that this works in Piazza’s favor that he was upfront and honest about the andro use. There were supplements that were being touted as safe and legal back in the mid-90s and early 2000s that are banned today. The guys who – probably – have nothing to hide have been fairly honest about their use of said products, and make a distinction between the (at the time) lawful use of supplements and the hidden use of things like Winstrol.

• crackersnap - Jan 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

In 1997 the IOC banned androstenedione as a androgenic-ANABOLIC steroid.

And I do not think, for one minute, that Piazza’s use was equivalent to Caminiti/Conseco/McGwire. All I am saying is that Piazza, by his own admission, is not The Virgin Mary here and we should stop claiming as such.

• genericcommenter - Jan 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I used it, too. I was a freshman in college and always made it to “Gold Card Tuesdays” at GNC. I used all kinds of fat burners, energy/lifting enhancers, and muscle builders that were available over the counter and pushed by the middle-aged clerks and fancy ads in mailers and magazines. A lot of stuff I took became banned due to misuse by dumbasses who couldn’t handle aspirin or by new perspectives.

I still stand by the belief that anything that was sold and marketed over the counter at GNC and Walmart, legally and open through mass merchants, was not at the time a “PED” and should not be viewed as such retroactively.

Part of the issue, is that a lot of the people then and now making judgments were the type of people who never worked out or used supplements of any kind and viewed anything as innocuous as Flinstone’s vitamins to be a dangerous/exotic performance enhancing drugs. On the other hand, if you ever worked out, had been to a GNC, taken a protein shake or any number of other harmless supplements du jour , these things weren’t quite as exotic and it would be silly to look at a guy taking Met-rx and amino acid pills and whatever else GNC/Bill Phillips/”natural” bodybuilding community was pushing at the time and lump him in with the steroids guys.

11. mrbaseball2013 - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Mike, Steroids are a NO-NO.
    No Hall of Fame for you.

12. donnab40 - Jan 13, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I am not a huge fan of Mike Piazza BUT to say that he doped is crazy. Just because he’s a catcher and he hit a lot of home runs doesn’t mean he took steroids. I think they should put him in the HOF. He deserves to be there. If you don’t have proof that he did steroids than how can you say he did and how can you not put him in the HOF? He has the stats for it. Put him in the HOF and be done with it. It’s not like Barry Bonds, or Jose Conseco where you have solid proof that they did steroids. So get over it and do it!!!

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. V. Martinez (2425)