Jan 11, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
The Mets have been rumored to be a finalist for Scott Hairston‘s services, but now Jon Heyman is saying that the Mets view him as a “fallback” option, and that they’ll only move on Hairston if they can’t get anyone better.
Which, considering the Mets haven’t been strongly rumored to be in on any other available outfielders, and considering that their current outfield is — how shall we put it? — less than stellar, one would think that perhaps they will be moving on Hairston anyway.
One would think it’s the perfect fit. They know each other and Hairston is assured of getting regular playing time. I suppose this is all just kabuki dance by the Mets, knowing that a deal with Hairston is likely, but wanting to seem less-than-desperate.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)