Jan 11, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The idea is that Morse would be a fallback/alternative to Mike Napoli who, amazingly, still doesn’t have a finalized contract with Boston despite reaching a general agreement with them over a month ago. It’s logical to conclude that those negotiations have turned difficult, and that the Red Sox are looking for other options.
Morse has hit .296/.345/.516 over the past three years and hit 31 home runs in 2011. His defense may be shaky at first, but if he can handle it, that bat would play quite nicely, one would think.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)