Jan 11, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Victor Martinez is one year removed from tearing his ACL last January and he’s scheduled to begin a baserunning program today.
There was some hope that Martinez could make it back at the end of last season, but that was quickly ruled out and Lynn Henning of the Detroit News writes that the Tigers then changed his recovery timetable to “a slower, steadier rehabilitation program.”
Tigers trainer Kevin Rand told Henning that Martinez “is doing real, real well” and “has been hitting for a bit more than a month, from soft-toss swings to regular swings, feeling real well, and with no issues.”
Still, it’s interesting that one year after the injury Martinez is just now beginning to run the bases.
His days of catching are over, but adding a healthy Martinez to a lineup that already ranked sixth in scoring among AL teams last season could be a big boost to the Tigers. Martinez hit .330 with 12 homers, 40 doubles, and an .850 OPS for the Tigers in 2011, whereas Detroit’s designated hitters batted a combined .257 with a .687 OPS last year.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)