Jan 11, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Victor Martinez is one year removed from tearing his ACL last January and he’s scheduled to begin a baserunning program today.
There was some hope that Martinez could make it back at the end of last season, but that was quickly ruled out and Lynn Henning of the Detroit News writes that the Tigers then changed his recovery timetable to “a slower, steadier rehabilitation program.”
Tigers trainer Kevin Rand told Henning that Martinez “is doing real, real well” and “has been hitting for a bit more than a month, from soft-toss swings to regular swings, feeling real well, and with no issues.”
Still, it’s interesting that one year after the injury Martinez is just now beginning to run the bases.
His days of catching are over, but adding a healthy Martinez to a lineup that already ranked sixth in scoring among AL teams last season could be a big boost to the Tigers. Martinez hit .330 with 12 homers, 40 doubles, and an .850 OPS for the Tigers in 2011, whereas Detroit’s designated hitters batted a combined .257 with a .687 OPS last year.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:15 PM EST
It will be Harvey’s first game action since he underwent Tommy John surgery 16 months ago.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EST
Santana hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to injury.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EST
“I think hanging it up is going to be harder for guys than they realize, after being out of it for a year.”
Feb 26, 2015, 3:40 PM EST
But it’s a very different kind of battle.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:18 PM EST
Milwaukee out, Toronto in?
Feb 26, 2015, 2:06 PM EST
Shame on A-Rod for making the reporters obsess about him.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:34 PM EST
Maybe THIS is the year he finally stops swinging at everything
Feb 26, 2015, 1:19 PM EST
Wainwright has been diagnosed with an abdominal strain.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
It’s been two and a half years, but it still leaves a “dirty taste” in his mouth.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Pena once looked like a potential star for the Reds and Red Sox, but then washed out by age 26.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EST
He also (a) wants to emulate Greg Maddux; and (b) asked Sandy Koufax about his curveball.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Welcome to 2002, Ruben Amaro!
Feb 26, 2015, 10:49 AM EST
It’s still early, but …
Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM EST
Two weeks ago Francisco Rodriguez was said to be holding out for a two-year contract.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
The Marins are protecting their investment.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:37 AM EST
Even if Mike Lupica thinks they will be soon.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Spring training is starting poorly for Toronto.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:29 AM EST
I am confident that Major League Baseball will help Josh Hamilton find the help he needs. I do hope, however, that whatever else they do to him does not contribute to the tendency to treat addicts as miscreants.
Matt Kemp thinks the Padres have the best outfield in baseball. I don’t think he’s right about that.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:32 AM EST
He’s forgetting, it seems, that outfields also play defense.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Mark Ellis told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle late Wednesday evening that he is retiring from baseball after 12 major league seasons.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)