Jan 12, 2013, 4:44 PM EST
The Yankees continue to express confidence that Derek Jeter will be ready for Opening Day following left ankle surgery. While he hasn’t been cleared for baseball activities yet, his rehab appears to be going as planned.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed today that Jeter is out of a walking boot and has begun workouts at the team’s complex in Tampa, Florida. If all goes well, he’ll begin baseball activities later this month.
“He’s doing fine,” Cashman said. “All the boots are off. He’s allowed to walk around now in shoes and stuff, but he’s not doing any running. He’s at the complex and they have an underwater treadmill, so he’s doing some walking underwater.
“Sometime in mid-to-late January, he’ll be cleared for some baseball activities; hitting and fielding. He won’t be doing any running until the very back end of this. That’s the plan so far, and he’s doing well.”
Cashman conceded that Jeter will likely be a little behind at the start of spring training, similar to CC Sabathia and Mariano Rivera, but being in the lineup for April 1 against the Red Sox is the goal.
Jeter, who turns 39 in June, batted .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 58 RBI and a .791 OPS last season. He’ll make $17 million in 2013 and holds a $9.5 million player option for 2014.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)