Jan 12, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
The Yankees continue to express confidence that Derek Jeter will be ready for Opening Day following left ankle surgery. While he hasn’t been cleared for baseball activities yet, his rehab appears to be going as planned.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed today that Jeter is out of a walking boot and has begun workouts at the team’s complex in Tampa, Florida. If all goes well, he’ll begin baseball activities later this month.
“He’s doing fine,” Cashman said. “All the boots are off. He’s allowed to walk around now in shoes and stuff, but he’s not doing any running. He’s at the complex and they have an underwater treadmill, so he’s doing some walking underwater.
“Sometime in mid-to-late January, he’ll be cleared for some baseball activities; hitting and fielding. He won’t be doing any running until the very back end of this. That’s the plan so far, and he’s doing well.”
Cashman conceded that Jeter will likely be a little behind at the start of spring training, similar to CC Sabathia and Mariano Rivera, but being in the lineup for April 1 against the Red Sox is the goal.
Jeter, who turns 39 in June, batted .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 58 RBI and a .791 OPS last season. He’ll make $17 million in 2013 and holds a $9.5 million player option for 2014.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)