Jan 12, 2013, 4:44 PM EST
The Yankees continue to express confidence that Derek Jeter will be ready for Opening Day following left ankle surgery. While he hasn’t been cleared for baseball activities yet, his rehab appears to be going as planned.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed today that Jeter is out of a walking boot and has begun workouts at the team’s complex in Tampa, Florida. If all goes well, he’ll begin baseball activities later this month.
“He’s doing fine,” Cashman said. “All the boots are off. He’s allowed to walk around now in shoes and stuff, but he’s not doing any running. He’s at the complex and they have an underwater treadmill, so he’s doing some walking underwater.
“Sometime in mid-to-late January, he’ll be cleared for some baseball activities; hitting and fielding. He won’t be doing any running until the very back end of this. That’s the plan so far, and he’s doing well.”
Cashman conceded that Jeter will likely be a little behind at the start of spring training, similar to CC Sabathia and Mariano Rivera, but being in the lineup for April 1 against the Red Sox is the goal.
Jeter, who turns 39 in June, batted .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 58 RBI and a .791 OPS last season. He’ll make $17 million in 2013 and holds a $9.5 million player option for 2014.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 18
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)