Jan 12, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
The Yankees continue to express confidence that Derek Jeter will be ready for Opening Day following left ankle surgery. While he hasn’t been cleared for baseball activities yet, his rehab appears to be going as planned.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed today that Jeter is out of a walking boot and has begun workouts at the team’s complex in Tampa, Florida. If all goes well, he’ll begin baseball activities later this month.
“He’s doing fine,” Cashman said. “All the boots are off. He’s allowed to walk around now in shoes and stuff, but he’s not doing any running. He’s at the complex and they have an underwater treadmill, so he’s doing some walking underwater.
“Sometime in mid-to-late January, he’ll be cleared for some baseball activities; hitting and fielding. He won’t be doing any running until the very back end of this. That’s the plan so far, and he’s doing well.”
Cashman conceded that Jeter will likely be a little behind at the start of spring training, similar to CC Sabathia and Mariano Rivera, but being in the lineup for April 1 against the Red Sox is the goal.
Jeter, who turns 39 in June, batted .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 58 RBI and a .791 OPS last season. He’ll make $17 million in 2013 and holds a $9.5 million player option for 2014.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)