Jan 12, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
The Yankees continue to express confidence that Derek Jeter will be ready for Opening Day following left ankle surgery. While he hasn’t been cleared for baseball activities yet, his rehab appears to be going as planned.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed today that Jeter is out of a walking boot and has begun workouts at the team’s complex in Tampa, Florida. If all goes well, he’ll begin baseball activities later this month.
“He’s doing fine,” Cashman said. “All the boots are off. He’s allowed to walk around now in shoes and stuff, but he’s not doing any running. He’s at the complex and they have an underwater treadmill, so he’s doing some walking underwater.
“Sometime in mid-to-late January, he’ll be cleared for some baseball activities; hitting and fielding. He won’t be doing any running until the very back end of this. That’s the plan so far, and he’s doing well.”
Cashman conceded that Jeter will likely be a little behind at the start of spring training, similar to CC Sabathia and Mariano Rivera, but being in the lineup for April 1 against the Red Sox is the goal.
Jeter, who turns 39 in June, batted .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 58 RBI and a .791 OPS last season. He’ll make $17 million in 2013 and holds a $9.5 million player option for 2014.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
Markakis played his first nine seasons in the majors with the Orioles before signing a four-year, $44 million contract with the Braves last December.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
The Astros acquired Scott Kazmir from the Athletics last week, but they are still thinking big as they make a push for the postseason.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
Tolleson is available for tonight’s game against the Yankees.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Greene’s 6.72 ERA is the highest among all MLB pitchers with at least 80 innings pitched.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
Weaver has been out since July 20 with left hip inflammation.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Clippard and Jeurys Familia should give the Mets a potent late-inning combo.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Hamstring and calf injuries have limited Victorino to just 33 games this season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
For Hamels to approve a trade there, however, the expression of interest would have to be mutual.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
He’s officially a free agent.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He’ll face Toronto.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Strasburg is coming back from a strained oblique muscle.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Could be a prank. Part of me actually hopes it is because it’d be hilarious. But it could just be a new way of breakin’ a scoop.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
AT&T Park was tops last year. Maybe those Soylent Green burgers they’re noted for aren’t as vegetarian-friendly as we thought?
Jul 27, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
And it isn’t a title he gave himself.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He was having a fantastic first half before the injury.
Jul 27, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Never in our Wildest Dreams would we have thought the Astros would be in the playoffs this year. But it could happen now.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
It “fell apart near the finish line.”
Jul 27, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT
Lordy, lordy look who’s 40! And still playing!
Jul 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Interested teams include the Yankees, Mets, and Nationals
Jul 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Lind mashes righties. And hasn’t been too terribly against lefties either, for that matter.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 19
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)