Jan 12, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Ken Davidoff of the New York Post conducted an interesting Q & A earlier this week with former Braves general manager John Schuerholz. After leading the club to their incredible run of dominance in the National League East from 1991-2005, he was promoted to team president following the 2007 season. And he relishes that role.
..I call myself Obi-Wan Kenobi. When they named me president, I said, “Look, I’ll be over here in the corner, in my office, and if you need some wisdom, come see the old guy and I’ll tell you what I know and what I feel.” And they laugh about that. And we have a great communication system in our organization.
That’s a fun visual. I really hope he wears a brown hooked cloak to the office. Anyway, the real juicy stuff from the chat was when Davidoff questioned Schuerholz about the team’s insistence to refer to Hank Aaron as the “true home run king” even though Barry Bonds passed him on the all-time list.
JS : Listen. If you were in Atlanta and you worked for our organization, you would feel the same way. He’s without dispute, people in baseball would look at him as the guy they say is the quote-unquote real home run champion. There’s no questions about how he hit his home runs.
KD : But he admitted to using amphetamines. He used illegal PEDs, just like Bonds did.
JS : I’m not going to make a big deal out of this. He is for us the real home run champion. It’s our view. He’s our home run king. It’s our opinion. And we honor him for that. And I’m not going to stop saying it about him.
Well, as a Mets fan, it’s my opinion that Rey Ordonez is the true home run king, but I suppose we can agree to disagree there.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)