Jan 12, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
When Logan Morrison underwent season-ending surgery in September to repair the patella tendon in his right knee, many assumed that he would have enough time to be ready for Opening Day. But that may not be the case.
According to the excellent Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Morrison said today that he has has yet to hit, throw or even run since the surgery. While he’s expected to make the move from left field to first base this season, his readiness for Opening Day is now in question.
“I’m not going to be able to run until the middle of February,” he said. “It’ll take a week into spring training, then it will be a progression to lead up to bases at some point. I don’t know when that will be.”
Morrison was limited to just 93 games last season and had surgery on the very same knee last winter. Since hitting .283/.390/.447 in 62 games as a rookie in 2009, the 25-year-old has an underwhelming .240/.321/.441 batting line.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)