Jan 12, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
But they’re thinking about adding some depth.
According to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, the Washington front office is beginning to show “heavy interest” in free agent right-hander Javier Vazquez, who is said to be considering a return to the major leagues after sitting out for the entire 2012 season.
Nightengale says the scouts who have watched Vazquez pitch in the Puerto Rican Winter League are “raving” about him. The 36-year-old is reportedly hitting 95 mph with his fastball with some regularity.
Vazquez posted a strong 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 162/50 K/BB ratio across 192 2/3 innings (32 starts) in 2011 for the Marlins. He’s expected to wait until after the World Baseball Classic to sign with a team.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 19
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 109
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 163
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (163)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (109)