Jan 12, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
But they’re thinking about adding some depth.
According to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, the Washington front office is beginning to show “heavy interest” in free agent right-hander Javier Vazquez, who is said to be considering a return to the major leagues after sitting out for the entire 2012 season.
Nightengale says the scouts who have watched Vazquez pitch in the Puerto Rican Winter League are “raving” about him. The 36-year-old is reportedly hitting 95 mph with his fastball with some regularity.
Vazquez posted a strong 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 162/50 K/BB ratio across 192 2/3 innings (32 starts) in 2011 for the Marlins. He’s expected to wait until after the World Baseball Classic to sign with a team.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)