Jan 12, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies have signed right-hander Rodrigo Lopez to a minor league contract with a spring training invite. This confirms a report by Fernando Ballesteros of Puro Beisbol.
Lopez, who turned 37 in December, had a 5.68 ERA over four relief appearances with the Cubs last season and posted a 5.28 ERA and 55/26 K/BB ratio over 73 1/3 innings with Triple-A Iowa. He owns a 4.82 ERA over 11 seasons in the majors.
Lopez’s role will likely be depth at Triple-A Lehigh Valley, but Salisbury hears that he would make $1 million plus incentives if he is added to the major league roster.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 3
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)