Jan 12, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
The Rangers and Matt Harrison have already had some preliminary discussions about a contract extension, but the left-hander told Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest yesterday that he’s hoping to have more talks this weekend while he’s in town for the team’s Fan Fest.
“We’re definitely still talking,” said Harrison. “We’ll see where that goes. We haven’t got anything finished yet. I’m excited about what’s happening and the opportunity to spend some time here. I definitely will have some time to think about that tomorrow.”
After posting a 3.39 ERA in his first full season in the rotation in 2011, Harrison finished eighth in the AL Cy Young balloting last season by going 18-11 with a 3.29 ERA and 133/59 K/BB ratio over 213 1/3 innings. The 27-year-old southpaw is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter and is line for a nice raise from the $2.95 million salary he made in 2012.
Harrison is under team control through 2014, so the Rangers could buy out his final two years of arbitration and maybe some free agent years. The club already has Yu Darvish locked up through 2017 and Derek Holland under contract through 2016 with club options for 2017 and 2018.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)