Jan 12, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
The Rangers and Matt Harrison have already had some preliminary discussions about a contract extension, but the left-hander told Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest yesterday that he’s hoping to have more talks this weekend while he’s in town for the team’s Fan Fest.
“We’re definitely still talking,” said Harrison. “We’ll see where that goes. We haven’t got anything finished yet. I’m excited about what’s happening and the opportunity to spend some time here. I definitely will have some time to think about that tomorrow.”
After posting a 3.39 ERA in his first full season in the rotation in 2011, Harrison finished eighth in the AL Cy Young balloting last season by going 18-11 with a 3.29 ERA and 133/59 K/BB ratio over 213 1/3 innings. The 27-year-old southpaw is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter and is line for a nice raise from the $2.95 million salary he made in 2012.
Harrison is under team control through 2014, so the Rangers could buy out his final two years of arbitration and maybe some free agent years. The club already has Yu Darvish locked up through 2017 and Derek Holland under contract through 2016 with club options for 2017 and 2018.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 3
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)