Jan 13, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
The Angels have been mentioned at different times this winter as a potential landing spot for free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse. But it doesn’t sound like they are even going to make an offer to him.
According to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, the Halos are “not expected to be players on Lohse” no matter how low his price drops because their payroll is maxed out at about $160 million and they like their current crop of starting rotation candidates. They’re also said to be “unsure” about how his numbers might hold up in a return to the American League.
And then there’s the new free agent compensation system which would require the Angels to give up more draft pool money in order to sign Lohse. They already forfeited their 2013 first-round pick and the allotted budget that comes with it by signing free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton. Lohse triggered that compensation by declining a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals when the offseason began.
Lohse, 34, posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings last year for St. Louis. He and his agent, Scott Boras, are likely hoping that teams will get desperate for starting pitching help as spring training draws closer.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)