Jan 13, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
The Angels have been mentioned at different times this winter as a potential landing spot for free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse. But it doesn’t sound like they are even going to make an offer to him.
According to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, the Halos are “not expected to be players on Lohse” no matter how low his price drops because their payroll is maxed out at about $160 million and they like their current crop of starting rotation candidates. They’re also said to be “unsure” about how his numbers might hold up in a return to the American League.
And then there’s the new free agent compensation system which would require the Angels to give up more draft pool money in order to sign Lohse. They already forfeited their 2013 first-round pick and the allotted budget that comes with it by signing free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton. Lohse triggered that compensation by declining a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals when the offseason began.
Lohse, 34, posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings last year for St. Louis. He and his agent, Scott Boras, are likely hoping that teams will get desperate for starting pitching help as spring training draws closer.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)