Jan 13, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Chen, who was born in Panama City, Panama but is of Chinese descent, posted a 5.07 ERA, 1.37 WHIP and 140/47 K/BB ratio across 191 2/3 innings last season for Kansas City. He’s set to earn $4.5 million in 2013 on the final chapter of a two-year, $9 million free agent deal that was struck in November 2011.
Chen turns 36 years old in June and the next World Baseball Classic won’t take place until 2017, so this was likely the final chance for him to represent the homeland of his grandparents.
China finished 15th out of 16 teams in the inaugural WBC back in 2006 and 11th in 2009.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 7
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)