Jan 13, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Chen, who was born in Panama City, Panama but is of Chinese descent, posted a 5.07 ERA, 1.37 WHIP and 140/47 K/BB ratio across 191 2/3 innings last season for Kansas City. He’s set to earn $4.5 million in 2013 on the final chapter of a two-year, $9 million free agent deal that was struck in November 2011.
Chen turns 36 years old in June and the next World Baseball Classic won’t take place until 2017, so this was likely the final chance for him to represent the homeland of his grandparents.
China finished 15th out of 16 teams in the inaugural WBC back in 2006 and 11th in 2009.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 14
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 26
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 68
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)