Jan 13, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Chen, who was born in Panama City, Panama but is of Chinese descent, posted a 5.07 ERA, 1.37 WHIP and 140/47 K/BB ratio across 191 2/3 innings last season for Kansas City. He’s set to earn $4.5 million in 2013 on the final chapter of a two-year, $9 million free agent deal that was struck in November 2011.
Chen turns 36 years old in June and the next World Baseball Classic won’t take place until 2017, so this was likely the final chance for him to represent the homeland of his grandparents.
China finished 15th out of 16 teams in the inaugural WBC back in 2006 and 11th in 2009.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)