Jeffrey Loria, David Samson no longer talking to the media

Jan 13, 2013, 3:32 PM EST

loria samson getty Getty Images

According to columnist Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Marlins’ higher-ups have intentionally gone into hiding since executing the organization’s latest major firesale:

Besides forbidding president David Samson from doing his radio show, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria also told Samson that he can no longer do interviews. That’s short-sighted, because Samson made himself more accountable and accessible than many team presidents, even amid unpopular decisions made solely by Loria. Loria, by the way, has refused to speak to the media since mid-November.

Samson has traditionally made weekly appearances on 790 The Ticket’s “Dan Le Batard Show” in Miami, discussing club matters and taking questions from callers. But that apparently won’t be happening in the future.

1. djpostl - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Loria is a shit stain on the tighty whities of humanity.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Not only that, but the grandstanding SOB chose today, of all days, to make his silence apparent. Today, as we kick off the South Florida Python Challenge. The man has no shame.

• mmlkr2c - Jan 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

He isn’t even good enough to be called a shit-stain.

2. djpostl - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM

As for “Must be nice to get hundreds of millions of dollars from taxpayers and then never have to answer to ‘em.”, I think if he won’t do an interview some local politicians should just handle that for us via subpoena.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Careful what you pray for. Not having to listen to either one of those pustulent little con men is a blessing so thinly disguised that it’s hidden in plain sight.

• djpostl - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

So true.

3. Carl Hancock - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Miami should kick the Marlins out of town and woo the Rays away from Tampa. At least the Rays are a well run organization that doesn’t treat their fans and the community they play in like trash.

• Mr. Furious - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I like that idea. Loria’s Marlins are the only team in baseball that I would wish Tropicana Field on.

• ltzep75 - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I so wish this could happen. The rays deserve a first class stadium to play in. Unfortunately, they’d have a few renovations to make in Miami to get that first class stadium. (I’m looking at you horrible hr abomination. The horrible hr abomination…and the fish tanks. The horrible hr abomination and the fish tanks…and the color scheme. The horrible hr abomination, the fish tanks, and the color scheme…)

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Leave Tommy alone!

• indaburg - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM

As a Rays fan, I would be fine with them moving to Miami. They do deserve a first class stadium and at least they would stay in state. I reserve judgment on the HR monstrosity and the color scheme until I see the stadium in person. Maybe it doesn’t photograph well. Of course, Tommy will need to be replaced by a giant sting ray.

4. andreweac - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Loria is an embarrassment to MLB.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

No, Loria is MLB’s evil twin made visible.

• cackalackyank - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:15 PM

You mean Bud Selig’s evil twin?

• Old Gator - Jan 14, 2013 at 7:28 AM

The Wilpoons are Bud’s evil twins.

No, pardon me – they’re Bud’s Dumb and Dumberer.

5. tc4306 - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Thank goodness for Loria and the Marlins. They are the ONLY thing preventing the Toronto Maple Leafs from being the most dysfunctional team in pro sports.

• gibbyfan - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Sorry TC —But that distinction has to go to the OAKLAND RAIDERS of the NFL

6. mojosmagic - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

And here I thought Ebenezer Scrooge didn’t have children. Loria’s lies and cheapness knows no bounds. He is a lying pimp without conscience that should be indicted.

7. Ben - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I’d suggest we organize a boycott of the Marlins, but I’m not sure anyone would notice.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Perhaps, but here on Circling the Bases plenty of us would notice that it was going unnoticed – and say so.

• amaninwhite - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM

It’s incredible how Loria is able to keep himself immune from having to deal with the consequences of anything he does.

Any truth to the rumor that the Marlins will not be selling tickets to games next year so that the fans won’t have the opportunity to boo?

8. indaburg - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hmph. If that’s how they want to play, I’m not talking to either of them either.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Not me. I plan to tell them how smart that trade with the Jays was. From my point of view, it was simply a brilliant trade.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

And this from the country that discovered cold fusion.

Yes, that’s right. The Canadians. I know you read that Pons and Fleischman discovered it, but long, long before that Canadians had discovered that if it got cold enough, things stuck together.

If I’m not mistaken, they also discovered that if you slept from October until April, your chances of contracting the flu were much lower.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Do not forget the telephone. Bell was living in Brantford Ontario when he invented it.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM

He also had a country home in Nova Scotia, on the Golden Arm, where he used to like to feesh with no hook. Really. When he was asked about that, Bell said – with painfully lucid logic – that he like to think while he feeshed, and if a feesh hit his hook it broke his train of thought.

Again, I am not making this up.

Crazy fucking Scot, huh?

• proudlycanadian - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:12 PM

He was unusual.

• indaburg - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I think his reason for fishing without a hook makes perfect sense.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Given my usual run of luck while feeshing, it does indeed make perfect sense. Bell and I are somewhat alike in our feeshing habits – he liked to think, I like to mutter strings of mindless anathemas under my breath.

• abaird2012 - Jan 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Anathemae?

• Old Gator - Jan 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM

No, my aunt’s name was Marion.

9. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM

jeff loria is, in my opinion, the worst person in all of sports right now. a lying, manipulative thief was bad enough a week ago, now add stubborn unaccountable weasel. this needs to be handled by the collective owners in MLB, and bud selig. it has become a stain on the brand of baseball.

10. thebadguyswon - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

These criminals need to be run out of baseball.

11. tklind - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM

If I was a Marlins fan, I would try to organize a boycott of next seasons games. Also, boycott buying season tickets. Force Loria to sell.

• caeser12 - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM

“If I was a Marlins fan.” Stop.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

There are just under seven billion people in the world. And there are how many Feesh fans? There, you see….the odds against your being a Feesh fan are significantly higher than against the nemesis asteroid hitting the earth again.

12. echech88 - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Smells like a Stanton trade is on the horizon

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM

It always smells like an Iron Giant trade round here. That’s feesh, though.

13. cackalackyank - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Well, not talking is one way to put it, but I think it is usually referred to as “taking the fifth”.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Feefth.

14. paint771 - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I miss the Expos. :(

15. vipod4ever - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Carpetbaggers in Montreal, and thieves in Miami…never, ever trust an art dealer.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Mandingo fight promoters is next.

16. whmiv21 - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

At least now they can’t lie to the press anymore…

• cackalackyank - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Sign language…just wait.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Middle finger upraised. They are occasionally capable of sincerity.

17. cosanostra71 - Jan 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Wow never thought there’d be a worse pro sports owner than Donald Sterling, but Loria takes the cake.

• hep3 - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

How soon they forget Frank McCourt; as they should.

• jrbdmb - Jan 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM

But even McCourt made a pretense of winning while he was looting the team.

18. Old Gator - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Ackcherley, the Chihuahua used to go on Dan LeBatard’s show and talk about old movies, about which LeBatard promoted him as some kind of authority. I used to enjoy listening to the little mongrel get the names of the stars and directors wrong, attach them to the wrong studios and confuse the plots. I think my favorite was when he remembered how, as a child, he was terrified by the sight of a gigantic radioactive Roy Rogers rising from Tokyo Bay….and you knew he was lying because he was born in 1968 and Roy Rogers, King of the Monsters came out in 1956.

19. mazblast - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Dear Commissioner Selig,

You know that “best interests of baseball” phrase? Now would be an excellent time to use it, and boy, do we have a place for you to use it. MLB has assumed control of a franchise before (Expos), has forced owners to sell (McCourt most recently), and overturned obviously unfair trades.

If there has ever been a time for you to prove you’re not a pendejo, this is it. Order Loria to sell the Marlins, with a non-publicly-disclosed deadline. “Sell by this date, or we’ll take the franchise away, sell it ourselves, and maybe, MAYBE give you the net proceeds.”

Yes, Mr. Selig, you DO have the authority, and now is the time to use it.

Signed,

All Fans of Major League Baseball

• chill1184 - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Would be nice but then if Comrade Selig kicked out Loria then he starts the domino affect and then needs to kick out Wilpon (Mets), Nutting (Pirates), Dolan (Pirates), and Glass (Royals). The deficit by the federal government would be paid off before Selig grows any balls and does the right thing.

20. 12strikes - Jan 14, 2013 at 6:36 AM

be a woman, say something about Hitler, and the other owners can’t get you out fast enough. be a man, rip off the people of Miami, the other owners could not care less.

21. 4d3fect - Jan 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Ah, I see Scrooge McLoria has got what he needed from the media and now is done with them.

22. realgone2 - Jan 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Loria has to be the biggtest scum bag in all of sports.

23. cidminion - Jan 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Loria has shown us nothing to believe he would ever change. The Miami politicians that allowed all those tax dollars to fund the stadium should be the ones you should go after. Call it what it is because the only consistent person in all of this is Loria. Scumbag will always be a scumbag

24. deathmonkey41 - Jan 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

In a much smaller, but related story, I also have stopped talking to the media.

25. klownboy - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Loria is a piece of crap, and they way he played the taxpayers is shameful. I hope the Marlins stink and he loses money at the gate for years to come.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4405)