Jan 14, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Kottaras was arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter. The 29-year-old earned $700,000 last season while hitting .211/.351/.415 with nine home runs, 31 RBI and a .766 OPS over 85 games between the Brewers and Athletics. He threw out 19 percent (5-for-26) of attempted basestealers.
Derek Norris figures to get most of the playing time behind the plate in 2013, so Kottaras will function as his backup. However, his power and patience is pretty useful to have around.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 17
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)